Suspension Spring Shackle Lengths,..??

Suspension Spring Shackle Lengths,..??

Bondo

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1963 willys cj 5 dauntless V6, auto.
Hi All,.... I just picked up a '63, Willys Jeep, CJ5, 'n am learnin' as I go,...

I'm gonna change out the worn out spring, 'n frame bushings with poly bushings, 'n hopefully greaseable bolts,.....

The reason I'm postin' is, there's a set of extended shackles on it now, both ends have 7/16" bolts, that are 3, 3/8", center to center,.....
I've found oodles of replacements, but they're all listed as 1" or 4" or whatever over stock,.....
'n I have no idea what stock is,.....
I'm sure my are longer, but no idea how much,......

Any Ideas,..??

Greetings from Va! I do believe stock CJ shackle bolts are on 3” centers.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you,....... I'll remeasure mine today, as I doubt somebody would do a 3/8" lift kit,......

Ok,.... Just went down to the shop to finish yesterday's oil change,.....
Left it drainin' overnight, refilled it, 'n took it for a 1st ride around the gravel pit,.....No surprises, so alls well,.....

I remeasured the shackles bolts, 3, 1/2" c/c,.....
I found some of the U-shackles on line, that measure 3" overall, less the shoulders, 'n 1/2 of the bolt diameter, I'm guessin' the original spec is 2, 1/2",......
So,..... I guess I'm gonna be lookin' for new shackles, poly bushings, 'n greaseable bolts, at 1" extended,....

I wouldn't worry about 1/2" or 1" of difference in length, if it's working OK I would leave it.
Ayuh,..... My thoughts are,..... I can see lean in a couple of the bushings, so poly replacements are in order,.....
As you mighta noticed, I like movin' things to be Greaseable,. so greaseable replacement bolts are needed,....
It's got bigger tires, so I need whatever lift it's got now, for tire clearances,....
'n I don't want it higher, as it's a bytch gettin' into the seat now,....

I'm sure I could tune up the shackles on it now, but just buyin' a "Kit" with the things listed above is just so much easier,.....

Bein' a newby jeeper, I have a list of changes I'm gonna make,.....
This is on the list, but not at the top of the list,..... ;)

Make sure you check the shackle hanger brackets bolted to the frame. 2 of my 4 were cracked. Brittle metal I suspect.

Make sure you check the shackle hanger brackets bolted to the frame. 2 of my 4 were cracked. Brittle metal I suspect.
Ayuh,.... Once I get the parts, I'll be sure to wirebrush the 'ell outa 'em, for a close up inspection,.......

Something I've noticed, has brought up another question,.......
I see u-bolt skid-plates everywhere, 'n on various videos, I see the u-bolts hangin' way down below the u-bolt nuts, like my jeep, close to 2",.....
I understand(sorta) the skid-plates, but why don't folks lobe off the excess u-bolts below the nuts, with a grinder,..??..??

'n while I'm down here layin' under the Jeep,.....
Goin' by dates, 'n differential gasket patterns, I Believe my Jeep has Dana 30s, front, 'n rear,....
Is that a safe assumption,..??
If not,.... Which Dana axles do I have,..??
Front, 'n rear are both off-set,....

Mine only hang about an inch below the nuts, my grinder/diamond blade was missing for a few years but finally cleaned up my garage after a water heater leak, found now and been thinking of trimming mine for some time also. Post up a couple of pictures of your axles.

Mine only hang about an inch below the nuts, my grinder/diamond blade was missing for a few years but finally cleaned up my garage after a water heater leak, found now and been thinking of trimming mine for some time also. Post up a couple of pictures of your axles.
Ayuh,..... I'll lob mine off the next time I'm under it with a grinder,....
Unless somebody comes up with a damn good reason not too,.....

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
........Unless somebody comes up with a damn good reason not too,.....

Well - If you leave em long, that would provide you the opportunity to bend em after draggin em across rocks and stumps - would make removing the nuts later on a lot more fun!!

Well - If you leave em long, that would provide you the opportunity to bend em after draggin em across rocks and stumps - would make removing the nuts later on a lot more fun!!

Ayuh,..... My luck, I'd hang 'em up on a stump,.....
I see u-bolts as a one-time use deal, so I'm gonna lob 'em off,....

They’ll also do a number on opossums.....

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks