Spring Hanger ID Tolerance for Bushings

Spring Hanger ID Tolerance for Bushings

verreaul

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'76 CJ7, 258, D30, AMC20, D300, T5
I am replacing the worn out shackles/bolts and bushings on my jeep and I noticed the spring hangers ID is a little more than 1" they are a little less than 1 1/32" so the bushings are not very snug (I can spin them easily). I know I should probably replace the hangers but I am a little concerned about getting those bolts out of the frame without everything stripping/breaking. Do you think that tolerance is OK? I think I can get everything "snug enough" once everything is bolted together. I am using new poly bushings and a new heavy duty 3/8" thick shackle. Thanks.

I would try to soak the bolts with penetrating oil for several days. If you break them off, you can always drill them out and re-tap. Problem with putting bushings into an oversized bore is that the bushing will tend to wear out sooner. Granted, the bushing will expand slightly when you tighten the bolt, but if you over tighten the bolts, the suspension will not move the way it was intended to.

When you reinstall the bolts. Coat them with anti-seize.
LG

I am replacing the worn out shackles/bolts and bushings on my jeep and I noticed the spring hangers ID is a little more than 1" they are a little less than 1 1/32" so the bushings are not very snug (I can spin them easily). I know I should probably replace the hangers but I am a little concerned about getting those bolts out of the frame without everything stripping/breaking. Do you think that tolerance is OK? I think I can get everything "snug enough" once everything is bolted together. I am using new poly bushings and a new heavy duty 3/8" thick shackle. Thanks.

The PO welded one of the rear spring hangers to the frame. I didn't want to make this into a larger project at the moment. So I just reinstalled new bushings and shackles and everything looks "snug enough". New spring hangers will be placed at the bottom of my to do list.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks