ColeTrickle

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'83 CJ7 Laredo 258/T5/D300
'80 J10 Honcho 360/727/NP208,
'79 J10 Honcho 360/TH400/QT,
'75 J20 "Workhorse" 360/T18/D20
Opened up the front rotor to check the bearings and the spindle bearing.
Appears the PO stripped out 3 of the 6 spindle studs that holds the spindle. Instead of replacing with new studs they used 1" 3/16 grade 8 bolts. To keep them from vibrating out (I'm assuming from this point) they taped 2 holes in the end of the bolt to render them useless once removed.
My 2 questions are these? Is there a source for these spindle studs?
And, is the 2 taped holes common practice? To keep bolts from backing out?

TIA

I would think an auto parts would be a quick source for the studs, providing you get the right size. The nuts should be the locking type and not the type with the nylon inserts. I am not really sure what you are stating when you mention "Taping" the holes. If the threaded holes on the knuckle are bad the they could be repaired with Helicoils if at all possible and they are not egg shaped.

I am not really sure what you are stating when you mention "Taping" the holes.

Torx, the best that I can describe it.

It looks as if someone took a "very" hard ice pick and put 2 holes in the end of a grade 8 bolt to elongate the threads so the nut wouldn't back off the bolt. I have never seen anything like this, but I'm only 4 decades young.

:confused:

***Update*** found them at Quadratec
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Could we start a "po did what!" Thread? With pics. cmon please.

Thecj2apage has a nice 1, bubbafied. And I thought we had 1, will search in the AM.

Thanks cj! I didn't think to do a search. That is some of the funniest reading.

We carry various wheel studs, if that helps (there are some images there as well :-) -
Morris 4x4 Center - SearchMorris 4x4 Center - Results for wheel stud

Well this was my mistake after I originally looked into it at Morris 4x4. Thought you guys had everything. Then I posted here. My bad.

Btw...still didn't find anything from you guys, sorry.

Did find them at several other sites, however.

For me I'll be going with grade 8 bolts lock washers and locktite.

Remember to check for clearance. You might have to cut one side of the bolt head so it will clear the knuckle. Also the correct studs 3/8x20 have splines cut into them like a wheel stud, when they are driven in they cut into the knuckle this along with the flat side on the head keep them from turning for installation and removal .

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks