Soft tops and doors

Soft tops and doors

Deadpool

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7,302,NP435,205,Dana 44/60 full width SOA
I just want to go on record saying i have been schooled on the soft top and doors fitment racket.
My CJ7 is by far a factory setup, a hard top wont fit due to POs poor body work.
I have driven it topless for 10+ yrs because of that fact.
Now to extend the season i found a YJ soft top,then doors, then handles for doors. They all attach to the cj but dont match fitment between them.
A CJ7 guru that has severalteen parted out jeeps gave me a lesson on the different makes and brands, brands that dont swap within the brand and sharp corner stock vs rounded.
I am going to try to put it to paper and post just not shure if its worth without pics and part #s.
Whats the general thoughts on that type of thread??
I wouldnt have thought there was that many different tops and door combos that wont swap so wouldnt have looked to begin with.
Is it worth my time or hey there prolly allready somethin here anyways.

well i would be quit interested in seeing your thread, any info is better than none

It will be a while before i can compile all the coresponding photos that match the respective tops and years.
So bear with me as im still a lil bit sick of dealing with the overwhelming amount of different i just got thru and still dont have a matching set.
My biggest cure is buy new and make shure it can sent back if they screw up the order!! Ha ha

I'm very interested. Mine came with soft top and soft doors new. Now in the last couple of years I've bought YJ steel half doors and soft uppers and not all the hardware from my original top works well where it connects to the windshield because the original rain/weather seal mounts to the windshield and on the new door upper the seal is mounted to the upper. I just got today the last item I needed. I had a guy I work with make ( lathe & mill ) a couple of items from aluminum and now I think I'm good to go. I will try it all out this weekend and find out, so far it looks good. But I'm also interested in what others have on their jeeps

Whats the general thoughts on that type of thread??
I wouldnt have thought there was that many different tops and door combos that wont swap so wouldnt have looked to begin with.
Is it worth my time or hey there prolly allready somethin here anyways.

I to would be very interested in what you come up with.

Are ya done yet??? :poke:

Belizean i am guessing you have the long thin aluum seal type with the post or tube if thats what you call it to hold the rod for the top.
I seen severalteen types of those some plastic some alum. Some have different size holes also
My parts guy has alot of different styles but each one seemd to be year or brand specific. He has around 45 CJs he has parted out and most useable parts are sorted.
He said thru his 30 plus years of jeep love (The soft top issue and doors are my biggest pain in the @??). Hes got a pickup size pile of frame parts and a pickup load of nicely folded tops of various shapes and colors.
Even tho he was verry helpfull and pulled out all the stops i still couldnt locate a match to the sunrider top i picked up.
I have two sets of old rag doors one bestop denim with sharp corners n twist type handles.
Other is whitco same handle type but different and yep has the springs
After a couple hours and a few more beers my conclusion is, along with a pissed copilot and parts guy that finally said just dig for yourself is, at least 4 afterrmarket brands plus the factory setups that changed with diff yrs and/or style of jeep, it will be like winning the lotto to locate a decent matched set of seperate items.
Its kinda overwhelming in the long run.
I would have saved money getting new stuff between beer,gas and time making brackets ect after trial and error i still have a jankey setup but looks kinda normal and is dryer than without.
Im still going to try and sort it out so be patient with me on that its warm out now!!

Belizean i am guessing you have the long thin aluum seal type with the post or tube if thats what you call it to hold the rod for the top.

Im still going to try and sort it out so be patient with me on that its warm out now!!

Deadpool my parts are plastic parts with steel rods. I had aluminum parts made to replace the plastic parts so these should last another 50-100 years. I do have 2 metal hoops or bows. I have no idea what the aluminum seal type is actually. I will be looking forward to what you come up with. Thanks

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks