Small chainsaw????

Well, tell us, do you have or did you have a positive experience with one of these saws?

There was a time where I wouldn't even consider a battery powered tool. They were toys, a gimmick for house wives. Now I couldn't live without my battery powered drills and screw drivers. One friend of mine works on an ocean side family cabin during his vacations. Power is Limited so he uses one of those DeWalt multiple tool packages and loves it to death. He says the skill saw with its very thin blade flies through wood. So, the idea of a decent battery powered chainsaw isn't that far fetched.

I am kinda embarrassed to post this Hedge, but here is an altermative:C3 19.2V Lithium Chainsaw: Get the Job Done With Sears

:agree:

I've owned several Stihls, and always had a small one for limbing. But given what you want to use it for I think the last suggest is the best. I have a couple of the newer lithium battery powered outdoor tools. I love them. Just be sure to get the ones with high voltage batteries. The higher the better. They ones I use are Ryobi 40v. Most offer a car charger as an extra purchase. Good luck with whatever you come up with. Rod

I carry an air bottle in my Jeep for re-inflating, etc. I'm thinking about stashing a 10" pneumatic chain saw under the seat. Tiny thing with good power and weighs 5lb.s

I still have my very first chainsaw, though I don't use it anymore. It's the bottom one (this is an internet pic but it's identical).:D
sawtoyz006.png

My other three are all McCulloch's but they are older ones. I think quality of that brand has declined. My oldest is a 1973 model 16" Mac2-10 but I put a 24" bar on it and a ripping chain to use in my Alaskan saw mill. The smallest is an Eager Beaver 3212 that would work well for in the Jeep, but I only carry a folding saw in it.

As far as fuel goes I use Trufuel. It comes in a metal quart can, ethanol free and is mixed 50:1. And has a real shelf life.

I carry an air bottle in my Jeep for re-inflating, etc. I'm thinking about stashing a 10" pneumatic chain saw under the seat. Tiny thing with good power and weighs 5lb.s

Anyone try one of these? I'm guessing they use a lot of air but that not be an issue for just clearing the trail

:)

Stihl...................No comparison............ STIHL MS 201 T Arborist Chain Saw | STIHL USA Mobile
This little limbing all position 14-16" blade saw is light and and nimble either on the ground or 25 ft up...........cuts like it's big brothers at a fraction of the weight........... Unless I'm going after something bigger than 30" the other saws hardly ever leave the truck..........always with us while camping & hunting. Cuts a stack of wood in minutes.
One of only a few Stihl saws that are only Made in Germany out of Magnesium.

:D:D:D:D

One of the people I wheel with got one of the saws Tarry posted, really nice and light and can be used with one hand for those low hanging limbs.
We all ask if we can use his saw now. :drool:

Hedge, Echo is another brand to consider. I think carrying some of the larger tools can be a bit much, especially with the extra gas and safety items, unless you are sure you are going to need that stuff. I carry a 2 ft. bow saw for just in case stuff along with tow strap, clevis, chain, and snatch block to get that stuff off the trail. If it has already fallen, hopefully you can just drag it.

This looks like a sensible solution.

Last Spring I was on a trail with some guys that was on private property on mining roads that had not be used in many years. Having a heavy duty Stihl, 2 cycle mix gas, and safety gear, would have been nice since my little bow saw was not much of a match with all the trees down. So you really should know what to expect and have the right gear to bring, no sense in bringing all that gear and not using it.

Does anyone have experience with the Echo line of saws. They seem highly regarded by some and being right up with the other saws they certainly aren't an inexpensive.

Found a Stihl 009 on craigslist. I'm sure it's related to the 109 saws we have today. It's a top handle arborists saw. The old girl has been used some and the brake needs some work. It runs well, but I'm sure the carb could use some cleaning out. The blade is new along with a new chain. The guy wants $125 for it and it seems like a decent deal to me. Even better he has another 009, it doesn't run as well, he will sell it for $75. I haven't touched them yet. Would that be a decent deal on one of these saws?

Thanks your all for your help. I was stuck on either Stihl or Husky with Stihl being preferred.

Well, that went well .... I hope .... The guy had 2 Stihl 009 (white) saws, both run, neither runs great. A few screws and the chain brakes are missing or don't work. Basically small money to replace some small missing items and the fuel/oil caps are not good. He wanted $75 for one $125 for the other, we settled on $125 for both. Not a great deal, but all in all a very decent deal. Now to dig into them to find out what they really need.

Stihl is great. My dad has had an 026 for 30 years. Cleared our house lot and cut 10 cord of tree length every year for 20+ years.

Wooly

Im a little late to this thread, but you could have bought a consumer grade echo brand new for $200 full retail, with a 14" bar, with a 5 year warranty. They go on sale at my local farm store for a $150, with the 5 year warranty. They are not junk saws. Im still running a 50cc Echo that I bought new in 1986, it has several hundred hours on it and it sill rips (its heavy and the anti-vibe on it sucks compared to newer saws)

I heat with wood, I also rebuild non running saws, used 2 strokes are a pig-n-a-poke in general. I dont care what color or name is on it, when some clown runs it hot or its just old and needs crank seals and has been run lean (can you say slug and jug). Then there is the yo-yo that does not understand what pre-mix is, trust me, they are out there.

Anyhow, If I just wanted a light, reliable inexpensive saw for clearing the occasional tree across the trail, Id buy an echo CS310. If you are into brand BS, then a stihl 170 or 180 for about $25 more, but does not have as much warranty ( I have one of both, and would take the echo over the stihl.)

The small huskies are now Poulans or vice versa, unless its an XP, and XP's and small are not to common, at least not around here.

Good advice, but too late.

I mentioned the color only because the older Stihl 009's were orange and the newer 009's were white. But I must say, a red saw of any type is always superior ..... Joke because I like red/orange.

My little saws start and run, but the carbs definitely need a good soak in cleaning solvent. I'm finding that the brake problems are normal maintenance items. I think these little saws have enough life left in them to do what I need to do.

I picked up a Stihl 192 for trail work. The second smallest one they make with a 14" bar. It starts great I hate having to pull my guts out starting a garbage saw. It was not much more then a cheapo.

I picked up a husky 440 from Lowes. Starts easy, fairly light, 18" bar, seems like a good saw for cutting a little fire wood, felling, and any type of trimming etc.

Wooly

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks