Small bump clunk
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-5
T150
Model 20
Dana 30
AMC 20
So as the title suggests, this is what I am experiencing. The sound seems to come from in front of the trans tunnel maybe even on the passenger side some. Larger bumps don't produce the sound. For an idea think small pothole chatter versus a speed bump. Hear the clunk with the small potholes but not at all with a speed bump.

I have looked everywhere up under the jeep and can't see anything that resembles contact of any sort, nor anything that even looks close to contact.

Any ideas? I know this is pretty generic but just thought maybe someone might have experienced the same issue somewhere along the line

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about shot motor and trans mounts where the transmission or the transfer case is banging against the skid plate? Or a gear shifter against the trans cover?

How about shot motor and trans mounts where the transmission or the transfer case is banging against the skid plate? Or a gear shifter against the trans cover?

All good places to look. Replacing some front end parts on my Cherokee and replaced sway bar links and bushings. It was making noises on different types of bumps but not on all road problems

Yeah. I will get some shots of the mounts tomorrow and post them here. Interestingly enough I have brand new mounts on the shelf. But other fun jobs made their way in front of them. You know, suspension etc :). On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is it to swap the mounts out? One or two man job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engine and or tranny mount.
Exhaust system.
Jack up all 4 wheels and check wheel play.
Tranny skid plate loose........
LG

Yeah. I will get some shots of the mounts tomorrow and post them here. Interestingly enough I have brand new mounts on the shelf. But other fun jobs made their way in front of them. You know, suspension etc :). On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is it to swap the mounts out? One or two man job?

Not too hard. Loosen the bolts, support the engine, remove the bolts, jack the engine up far enough to slide old mounts out and new ones in. A helper is useful to hand tools, and watch that the fan does not come in contact with the radiator while lifting the engine. There should be sufficient movement in the transfer case/transmission mount and the exhaust hangers to not have to loosen or remove them.

Feel under the oil filter for dents where it is close to the mount.
The PS side engine mount is known for tearing with the 6 cyl engine.
That tranny mount sure looks oil soaked, and that could be the main issue. The oil breaks down the rubber. When was the last time the tranny and t'case oil level was ck'd?
LG

2 days ago :). I got oil coming from the fuel pump and dipstick. And I fixed the valve cover gasket that had been leaking on the PO for who knows how long.

The t case is leaking from the cover from what I can tell. But level is monitored on a regular basis.

If oil is leaking from the dip-stick-You may well have the wrong PCV valve in place. OR-The one you have is clogged. You have to much PSI inside the block. This could also be from blowby from the rings.
Leaking gear oil will damage/destroy the rubber used in the OEM type t'mount.
I strongly urge you to look into a poly mount. I have one and very pleased with it. You do need to reseal that cover ASAP.

Could be suspension...........namely the leaf spring shackle or fixed spring mount rubber bushings............or steering joints all the way from the column to the spindles including the ball joints and tie-rod ends that are either loose or worn......noises have a way of traveling in vehicles.........could even be coming from the rear?

Yeah I have decent blow by in #2. Know that for sure. PCV valve seems to be good. Rattles when I shake it. Need to research resealing the tranny cover.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks