shudder on clutch release

shudder on clutch release

JTNCHRIS

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5 AMC 360 4SPD MAN TRAN, dana 30 front dana 20 rear, edelbrock 1406 carb, accel super coil and wires, american racing stainless rims
when letting out the clutch and proceeding forward, I experience a rather violent shudder. now mind you this is not an every time thing. comes and goes. any diagnosis based on description out there?

On mine it was oil on the clutch that had leaked out of the valve cover. Fixed that, got a new clutch and everything has been fine. I was told at the time that there was no fixing it, just had to get a new one.

It could also be a worn out pilot bearing. But while you're there you might as well replace both.

Mine did that too. It was leaking oil, rear main seal.

ok so I know what area to research now. caveman, what part of my beloved state are you in? grew up in lewiston

ok caveman, what part of my beloved state are you in? grew up in lewiston

I live in the little known town of Embden. About 30 miles north of Waterville. Just a little off RT 201.

when letting out the clutch and proceeding forward, I experience a rather violent shudder. now mind you this is not an every time thing. comes and goes. any diagnosis based on description out there?

Could be several things, but more than likely you have a bad pilot bearing and/or the flywheel needs to be resurfaced....made completely flat. If thats the case, while there, you might also consider a new pilot, throw out bearing, clutch and pressure plate. :chug:

ok so with this snow weve had and some minor damage to the jk, I got out the cj and put her in 4 hi and not a bit of shudder. any takers on this newest developement?

so have the clutch out and all seems in good shape. surfaces are flat and shiny, bearings look good. did go ahead and order the centerforce 2 clutch kit just to justify taking it all apart tho. note to self remove the shield on the bottom of the tranny and make sure it is balanced towards the back, lesson learned.

Are the springs in the disc tight?

I'm resurrecting this thread as I have the same problem but I have a brand new clutch, rebuilt trani and engine. It shudders upon take off in reverse much worse than forward unless I have the RPM's at 1000+. I have the idle set about 750 but am wondering if that is too low? It was my understanding that I should be able to slowly release the clutch at idle to get it rolling but I can't do that at 750 rpm. I'm wondering if its an idle problem, or possibly, its simply how I drive.

I'm having the same problem with no oil leaks,a new clutch, newly resurfaced and new pilot bearing new...new...new...new.

I talked to my Jeep guy and he says this is becomming more and more a problem with new clutches. He believes under light pressure the clutch springs are not evenly applying pressure to the plate creating a chatter. It isn't much and is worse in reverse (related to gear ratios for reverse), but it does drive me a little nuts. My clutch was a diaphram unit, the next one will be a three finger clutch. I'm afraid the next one will be comming along before the year is out. Can't say as I'm thrilled about the whole situation. (Lumpy Grits, this has nothing to do with my clutch adjustment)

I'm resurrecting this thread as I have the same problem but I have a brand new clutch, rebuilt trani and engine. It shudders upon take off in reverse much worse than forward unless I have the RPM's at 1000+. I have the idle set about 750 but am wondering if that is too low? It was my understanding that I should be able to slowly release the clutch at idle to get it rolling but I can't do that at 750 rpm. I'm wondering if its an idle problem, or possibly, its simply how I drive.

:)Hopefully you have surfaced the flywheel and pressure plate if it was used. Pilot bushing , input shaft wear & bearings , Motor mounts , clutch linkage and suspension problems are all contributing factors to a clutch that shutters when let out.

:D:D:D:D:

Worn out pilot bearing can cause this shake'n.
Along with oil on the f'wheel.
Also, confirm your motor mounts and tranny mount sound.
LG

Your fine--
What's your R&P and tire size?
I can 'walk' away at idle in 1st gear, but I run 4:88 R&P and never use 1st on the street.
LG

Everything in clutch assembly is new. I have a rear locker and tires are 33". I looked under it while I had someone pull forward and backwards and it appears to be originating at the rear axle. Its more like the drive shaft is shuddering. The trani and transfer case seem solid and not moving around. I think I need to loo at the lockers. I never liked them, since I drive on the street, and bought a replacement AMC20 to put in it but just haven't had time. I guess I'll find the time.

When was the last time you lubed the DS, u-joints and slip spline?
Don't blame the DL-
LG

I lube all that about three six months ago after putting the new motor in.

How many miles and how much water since then?
Do it again just to be sure.
CK for play/slop also.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks