Should I fix this?...U bolt question or save for another time.

Should I fix this?...U bolt question or save for another time.

Techlight

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7: 4.2l i6 (mild cam), Team Rush, Howell TBI, T5, D300, D30-front, AMC20-rear, 33/10.5/15 BFG A/T's........................

1964 Kaiser CJ5 (sold),
1960 Willy's CJ5 (sold)
Hey all,

I'm sure it's a dumb question but I was curious if I should fix this or just leave it alone? (details below).

Just finishing up changing all my bushings on an 84 CJ7 that I got a few months ago. The rear is an AMC20. I had stopped working and was cussing at AMC for installing the stock shackle bolts so that the bolts hit the gas tank and can't be removed. Anyway, I noticed one of my U bolts was askew and wasn't sure if I should mess with it or not. It's quite solid and doesn't seem to be loose or shifting around at all.

There's a few reasons I'm asking the dumb question about fixing this. Normally the answer would be yes, however the following applies.

1. In the next year or so (will probably be the full year) I'll be replacing the springs and will end up changing everything out at that point.
2. Everything on this Jeep (like lots of them out there) is rusted and lots of trouble at various points with stuck bolts and things that look pleasantly easy and turn into a two day affair. I'm sure I'll have to take the spring plate when I take the U-bolts...at least that's my guess anyway because that's how it keeps going with this thing.

Not sure if I should open this can of worms now or save for later. What do you'all think? Of course I do plan on wheeling this, but nothing super heavy but wheel'n all the same. I'm also a bit concerned because it's a stock 20 and probably will be for at least the next few years (unless it breaks in that period haha).

Thanks for the replies....the help is always appreciated on here.

Note: Don't worry about those pesky shackle bolts...they are going to be cut out. There's no way I'm dropping my gas tank skid and my gas tank to remove some stock shackles. I posted a pic just cause.

Attachments

• rear right u bolts.jpg
    rear right u bolts.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 260
  • rear right u bolts 1.jpg
    rear right u bolts 1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 246
  • AMC smokes crack.jpg
    AMC smokes crack.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 308
You can try to loosen it and tap it over. If it dosent loosen than leave it it won't hurt anything the way it is.

You don't have to remove the tank and it's skidplate to change the shackles unless your going reuse them. You can cut them out using a sawzall or angle grinder. If you are going to reuse them you can still cut them out I guess just use new bolts.

I say "if it's not broke, don't fix it".:D

you could the replace U bolt, cheap and a great peice of mind, you also get to know ur Cj better when you strip her down. think about gettting a can of PB blaster stuff works great on rusted bolts better then wd40. one peice axles in the rear you can do that for around $200-270 and DIY.

when you replace the springs, cut the old u bolts with a saws all and don't give it a second thought, new ones will come with the spring kit. I would, in an OCD moment, try to loosen and move the one you have just because if it does get any slack it is going to be real loose real quick.:D

It's a 5 minute fix to loosen the nuts and set the u bolt correctly. Jack the body up to take ALL weight off the front axle and it 'hangs'.
The reason the u-bolt moved is because it wasn't installed correctly, to start with.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks