shackles

shackles

tonyrose427

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj5, 304 v8, 3 speed manual, diffs unknown
Bought my 79 CJ5 a few months ago. been working mainly on engine. runs sweet now. Saw a little negativity towards shackle lift on this site. Mine came with a shackle lift and does wander. was hoping new bushings would help. Any thoughts to send me down the right track?

I am a fan of shackles that only add up to an inch of lift. For anything more, I would go with lifted leaf springs.

How about details on your suspension?
How much lift are you running?
What size tires are you running etc.
LG

Have seen warrior shackles and wonder if i can weld some square tubing in to stabilize the shackles i have. nedd to also put in my new bushings, think that will help

Post up some pictures of the springs. Should be able to tell if OEM or not.
Pictures of you shackles would be good also.
Lived here for just over 26 yrs now-Really like it here.
What PSI are you run'n in the 33's?
LG

New to this site. Please be patient. Just finished driver side front bushings. About to throw my phone. Can't figure out how to send pix. Springs are relatively flat. Think they're stock.

Attachments

• IMG_20171022_143719.jpg
    IMG_20171022_143719.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 133
Those shackles are WAY too long. :eek:
Your whole frontend alignment is out of spec because of them.
From what I see-Those might be OEM springs.
LG

Stock shackles and a 2.5 inch spring lift will work for 33s. Maybe a 1 inch body lift to help. That is my set up
39a12459770579ce337484f2da1280ec.jpg

Looking good ! Nice stickers! :)

:agree: With gr8dain.

I would plan on going with the 1" body lift.
LG

Should I get stock shackles and put a spring lift on her? Rear is the same.
If you get a chance Try and check out these shackles
a little pricey But when you hold them in your hand you can feel that you got your money's worth And when you bolt them up You can feel the difference
http://www.crabtreetool.com/images/100_1088.jpg

Edit.. That's not the link I wanted to give you I think it's this one That'll get you right to the Jeep parts http://www.crabtreetool.com/Jeep Parts Order-form.html

Should I get stock shackles and put a spring lift on her? Rear is the same.
Like Lumpy replied, those are way too long. The front caster angle must really be whacked, which will explain the wandering.

If you're content to run a 33" tire, and you aren't going to do a lot of off-roading where you will be articulating the suspension, you can probably get by with a 2.5-3 inch suspension lift. I'd also recommend running a stock length shackle or one with minimum lift (1 inch or less).

Put you CJ in a 4wd tight turn, have someone watch how much the spring shackle sways. Hopefully that will convince you.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks