Misc. Security when topless

Misc. Security when topless

jonboy1919

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 Renegade, 304cid, MC 2150 Carb, TH400 tranny, Dana 300 twin stick, Dana 44 front w/lock right, Dana 44 rear w/truetrack locker, 33x12.5 Goodrich's, Warn 8k, onboard air, Motorcraft TFI ignition upgrade, WipeBoy wiper upgrade, Painless wiring harness, backup lamps, Driving lamps, YJ brake booster and MC upgrade swap, Rear tow hitch
I am very curious as to what my fellow jeep owners do for security when running topless and doorless in the summer? Have any of you custom built a security box perhaps under the rear seat or behind it? if so, I’d sure like to see your designs. I’ve got a 1979 CJ7. Thanks in advance.

Security is a concern for soft-toppers and canvas doors all year round. My office doesn't allow firearms in the building, so as a concealed carrier, I built a locking steel center console to keep my gun while at work (or other places that don't allow carry). I also have a push button start system with an ignition disable and alarm. So no hot-wiring or forcing the ignition lock on the column concerns either. BTW - Mine is an '84 CJ7.

Thread for center console build: Center console build
Thread for push button start system: Push button start

Another thought I had, but haven't move the idea along enough yet, is to build two locking boxes that mount recessed into the rear fender tops. In other words, hinged lids with locks on top and the boxes dropped into the fenders, maybe 4-5 inches deep. I have a 4" lift and 35" tires, so no risk of the tires going that high up into the fenders to hit the bottoms of the boxes.

Wish someone would make an under the seat lock box for the CJ7

Early CJ's (my 72) have a storage box under the passenger seat. I modified mine to lock.
Yeah stuck with my nice 84. :chug:

Tuffy products makes an under seat drawer for under the back seat in a Jeep. Kinda pricey. Locking drawer

They also have a locking box that sits upright behind the rear seat. Lock box

Obviously there are locking glove box doors.

Some folks use ammo cans with locks bolted to the tops of the fender wells.

box.jpg

And I've never seen one of these in person, but maybe you could locate one. It's cool.
box_2.jpeg

If you have a place on your back bumper to mount a jerry can, Rampage has an option.
box_3.jpg
There are boxes that mount under the hood.
box_4.jpg

More major price is this replacement tailgate with a lockable storage space inside it. Tailgate

How about cheap and easy? PVC pipe tube mounted under hood.

box_5.jpg

Or you could just try the "fair warning" approach:

label.jpg

Not much under hood room in mine. I do like this though. 98BA61D7-9DD7-4FCA-A505-BBA81F453170.jpeg

Years ago I bought one of the 8" wide Tuffy stereo center consoles. It's been worth the money, no ones going to steal my CD player radio anymore, but the lockable center section is nice and big enough to store just about anything you'd want.

I have one of the factory behind the rear seat storage boxes. They're plastic and the lock mechanism isn't very sturdy. It's great for keeping stuff organized, but I have no doubt if someone really wanted in there they could get in there.

Attachments

• 20220928_185844.jpg
    20220928_185844.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220928_190012.jpg
    20220928_190012.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220928_190018.jpg
    20220928_190018.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 7
lol I built a center console that looks like the tuffy one for mine, I haven't mounted it yet, nor finished making it lockable

lol I built a center console that looks like the tuffy one for mine, I haven't mounted it yet, nor finished making it lockable

For me, a locking center console and a locking glove box are the first two places to start. After that, many other options exist or can be made fairly easily.

I've got ammo boxes with padlocks keyed alike...to address the space restraints as much as anything else

Thank you all, some really great ideas and designs. I'm probably going to fab a tall box, made with 1/8' steel, in the 10-1/2" "truck bed" behind the rear seat. Paint it with POR15 and design a dual locking system.

For me, a locking center console and a locking glove box are the first two places to start. After that, many other options exist or can be made fairly easily.

I just thought about that an ignition kill switch mounted in the locking center console would be a good idea

Yea - a kill switch hidden inside the console would be easy to do, and secure when the console is locked. Just make sure the switch can't be accidentally hit by objects in the console while you're driving. Also keep in mind the needed electrical current depending on what part of the ignition you are switching. What I mean is if you are actually putting the switch in the main ignition circuit, you will need wiring and a switch capable of handling about 30 amps (for stock stuff, more if other added accessories). But if you put a switch in the starter circuit (the light blue wire that engages the starter solenoid) to simply prevent the starter from being engaged, you won't need as large of wiring or a switch.

Soft top on or soft top off, the cj is an open target. All of the above will give you some way of securing valuables. I still rock the original center console and have decided that after 50 some years of driving jeeps, I just don't leave anything of value in it. One word of advice though, unless you put in a hardened box in your glove box, a lockable door won't help. Original glove boxes are cardboard and are easily ripped out from underneath. If a person knows anything about that they will bypass your locked door

On the subject of kill switches, if I feel the need to prevent the thing from starting, I just pull the red lead off of the solenoid on the passenger wheel well under the hood. Most thieves are in a hurry and don't want to diagnose why it won't start.

"One word of advice though, unless you put in a hardened box in your glove box, a lockable door won't help. Original glove boxes are cardboard and are easily ripped out from underneath. If a person knows anything about that they will bypass your locked door"

True dat

I am very curious as to what my fellow jeep owners do for security when running topless and doorless in the summer? Have any of you custom built a security box perhaps under the rear seat or behind it? if so, I’d sure like to see your designs. I’ve got a 1979 CJ7. Thanks in advance.
Ayuh,..... I just don't leave anything in it, that I'll miss if stolen,....

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks