Rusty rocker arms?

Rusty rocker arms?

jeremy5780

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 cj7
I replaced the valve cover gasket today on my 258 and noticed the first 3 cylinders have surface rust on some of the rocker arms and bridges, None on the last 3 cylinders. There is also no rust on ANY of the push rods or springs ect and the inside of the head looks clean NO coolant or water seen just oil. Motor runs fine no issues, the head was remanufactured a few years back by the PO. Any ideas?

If you already have the cover off, I would pull the rusty rockers off and check to see if the bearing surface where the rocker pivots is rusty. If there is, now would be the time to replace them. If the pivot bearings are clean, I would think that you should be good to go.

So the rust was indeed under the oil / there before the oil was?

Looks to me like these sat bare for some time at some point. If it were mine, I'd button it back up and roll...

That is also an indication of an engine used for short trips. Or sat for a long period.
It can be caused by condensation.
Not uncommon on farm equipment. ;)
If it runs good-leave it.........
LG

looks like southwest Florida salty air =0

Looks like the power steering pump bracket (I believe) is cracked

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks