Rusted VIN plate

Rusted VIN plate

45frank

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Past 77 CJ-5, 84 CJ-7, 78 CJ-7, WIP 80 CJ-7
I'm in NC and the VIN tag under the hood is all but unreadable(CJ7). The vin number is 100% readable with most of the rest. It's rusted a few good cleanings or a few more months and it would be unreadable.
Is there a place to have these reprinted like the originals? I just talked to the state police here who issues new vin numbers and was told they would issue only a NEW NC Title VIN number. I really don't want to go that route though.
Does anyone have a picture of there Vin plate as well as the one an the dash for a 1980 CJ7 so I can compare?
Any options or opinions?

Last edited:
There are places that make new Vin. plates and dash stickers. Legality is a bit dodgy. From what I've been told they make them "Off Shore".

If it were me, very carefully I'd remove the original metal tag and use the Chemical Rust Remover they sell at some parts stores. This stuff will not touch the metal, but will absolutely remove any rust present. Then I'd seal it with some sort of paint and put it back on. Your CJ7 will have rivets, use steel rivets to reattach it.

The old CJ's had metal screws attaching the Vin. Plate. A friend of mine had his plate confiscated because it wasn't riveted on, even though the screws were factory items. I would have pitched a royal fit about it. Here in Arizona they don't go by the Vin. Plate on the fire wall, they want to see the one on the very removable dash. That always seems odd to me.

OP, like HH sayz. Do you have the secondary VIN on the wiper motor housing?
Can you post a picture of the damaged VIN plate?
LG

A chemical rust remover would work wonders on that plate. ..... Fiberglass tub, that changes things a bunch. Obviously the tag you have was scavenged off the original metal tub and it's been through a lot of abuse. I would definitely do all I could to salvage it. As I wrote before, there is more left on that place than you realize. A warning is due here, DON'T try to mechanically remove the rust, that would likely destroy the plate.

:agree:

LG

I'll be removing it today and taking much better pictures and hit it with some rust remover.
Like I said at this time the numbers are all readable. I have no idea why the NC SP won't issue a new tag with the same numbers. Makes no sense to me!

You expect logic, when dealing with the state? :laugh:
LG

I'll be removing it today and taking much better pictures and hit it with some rust remover.
Like I said at this time the numbers are all readable. I have no idea why the NC SP won't issue a new tag with the same numbers. Makes no sense to me!

Use this!!

Evaporust_zpsk49ftacy.png

Part of the answer is .... NC doesn't manufacture VIN plates. You would think they could certify a replacement though. If you absolutely have to have a perfect plate on your thoroughly altered fiberglass bodied CJ there is at least one place that will remanufacture your VIN plate so you have a factory fresh plate for your obviously replaced body.

It will be interesting to see how your old plate looks after using some rust remover on it.

Part of the answer is .... NC doesn't manufacture VIN plates. You would think they could certify a replacement though. If you absolutely have to have a perfect plate on your thoroughly altered fiberglass bodied CJ there is at least one place that will remanufacture your VIN plate so you have a factory fresh plate for your obviously replaced body.

It will be interesting to see how your old plate looks after using some rust remover on it.

Didn't expect them to make me a new plate. Just allow me to get a replacement legally is all.
If they give me a NEW NC VIN number I still have to get it on a plate then on the vehicle? So why not just legally allow me to use the original VIN numbers?
I guess the entire question didn't make sense. I didn't know there were places who made them when I made the post.

Don't blame you for being frustrated.

OK removed the plate since it was just hanging by half of one rivet anyway.
Soaked in a little navel jelly I found in the barn. It isn't really totally readable from the front but the back was readable backwards with no problem. I have every letter that was on the plate. I have the plate in a plastic bag now for safe keeping until I'm done and mount a new one.:chug:

Use this!!

Evaporust_zpsk49ftacy.png

Naval jelly works somewhat, but the thing to use is pictures above. It absolutely dissolves rust with no physical effort, but will not remove any metal. It's been on some restoration shows and it's amazing. The rust is GONE and all you have left is the metal plate. Clear coat it and call it good. DON'T use any mechanical removal methods.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks