Rusted Floor Pans

Rusted Floor Pans

eMac52

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-8, Iron Duke with attitude, being rebuilt but still mobile.....
The front floor pans of my CJ8 were rusted out so I decided to replace. Pretty simple. When you buy your floor pan replacements overlay them in the floor over the existing rusted area. Mark the outside of the replacement pans, and remove new pans. About two inches inside the outline make your cut. I took a grinder with a cut off blade and cut out the rusted area just inside the two inch mark. Now drill 1/2 inch holes just inside the outer lip of your new floor pans. Holes should be about 1 to 2 inches apart. Using a grinder, remove paint and rust to get good penetration when you spot weld your new pans. Over lay in the floor and using a very light setting on your mig welder ( a 110 Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln works best) with a brass heat sheild under area your going to spot weld begin to fill the 1/2 drill holes. Upon completion you can lightly grind the top of the welds, prime, paint and your ready to go. Works fantastic.

Also use a good seem sealer top and bottom before you paint. That keeps the water from rusting the hidden areas.
Floor pans are a easy fix, even if you dont have a welder it can be done.

That is a excellent point about sealing .

Where did you get the replacement pans?

I just received floor pans for another re-build. I bought these from Morris 4x4 Jeep Center in Florida and the damn things were made in Taiwan. WTF is that all about ? Plus I purchased a Warrior Diamond Plate shifter cover and it was off by about 3 to 4 inches. Was told by Morris that they would get back to me regarding the mis-fit. NO REPLY yet. Very disappointed with them.

All steel cj tubs are made overseas, and most of the sheetmetal panels are to. When you buy them, you get em from somebody that buys em then "fixes" what's wrong with so they fit, the cheaper ones are direct from wherever, the more expensive one have been repaired. There are very few companies in the us that stamps their own steel panels. This applies to repro tubs especially, there are no steel US made tubs from anybody only "fixed" repro chinese tubs
DROOOID2

It's a damn shame that we can't make things anymore in the USA !

I have used their parts. They make good stuff, its made in Michigan.
You can tell if new metal has been worked or not its pretty obvious. You cant hide sanding and hammer marks on new clean metal.
I can tell on old cars if they been sanded down before when using paint stripper. You will see all the DA marks when you scrape off the old paint.

I recently bought a Jeep where the PO welded in new floor pans but he didn't completely cut away the old, rusted ones. They are spot welded in only and rattle a bit. What is the best way to resolve this? Will I need to grind away all the welds? Would I be better off just buying new ones and starting over?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks