Rusted broken frame bolts?

Rusted broken frame bolts?

BALDY 55

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ-7,258 IL6,AUTO
Love the website. Its great to see so many CJ lovers in one place. I'm looking for a little help. I just got a sweet CJ7 frame from a guy who had to move on from a restoration project. BUT...he broke off the bolts for the rear spring hangers and the sway bar in the front. Some are flush and some have a little bolt left.

My question is this. Has anyone had any luck with the "drill out" or "grabb-it" bolt removers? I have a feeling with the bolts being rusted that they could be a waste of time and money. If so am I left with just drilling out the entire bolt?:mad:

Any thoughts would be a great help. Thanks so much.

Ok, just want to make sure i'm understanding you correctly. Everything is intact (involving spring hangers/bushings/springs) except the bolt head/and/or nut. Correct?

If so, i would personally use a really big hammer and a really good punch....good luck knuckles. Just don't swing so hard you bend the pieces you intend to maintain, and...try not to miss. :D

I don't know what "grab-it out" is. Drill out can work well if you have the room to drill it out without getting into what you wanna keep. One way or another it'll come out.

Good luck man.

Try heating the bolt with a torch red hot to break the rust. Use an EZ out, but don't snap it off. Otherwise hole saw the frame and put in a new fastener.

I just finished my frame and to be honest. I did several methods. I welded a boly to the broken studs and backed them out with a wrench. This works because the welding process heats the offending party up and it loosens it. BUT MY FAVORITE METHOD IS DRILL OUT AND RE TAP. i FIND THAT YOU CAN NOT USE TOO MANY INCREASING SIZES BITS FOR THIS.I start with 1/8" and come up slowly in drill size till I reach the appropriat drill bit for the tap I need. The multiple drillings let you make slight adjustments if you hole starts to drift. Be sure to use Rapid Tap when cutting ne threads. While you have the taps out chase all the welded nuts in the fram out . I put my taps in a cordless drill for this. Just go slow with the RPM speed and for God's sake don't bear down on the tap or forget to use Rapid tap or an equivalent.

Love the website. Its great to see so many CJ lovers in one place. I'm looking for a little help. I just got a sweet CJ7 frame from a guy who had to move on from a restoration project. BUT...he broke off the bolts for the rear spring hangers and the sway bar in the front. Some are flush and some have a little bolt left.

My question is this. Has anyone had any luck with the "drill out" or "grabb-it" bolt removers? I have a feeling with the bolts being rusted that they could be a waste of time and money. If so am I left with just drilling out the entire bolt?:mad:

Any thoughts would be a great help. Thanks so much.

Before you start, soak your rusted areas in methyl salicylate, or oil of wintergreen. It is one of the best rust penetrants in the world, and you can find it at most pharmacies. Then, when you DO decide on a plan, things should go along relatively easily.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks