Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Rubicon 2020 - Date TBD

JR74CJ5

Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ 4" Lift Spring Conversion
Finally ready to commit to hosting a Rubcon Trail Ride in Eastern Central California.

For those that don't know, the Rubicon Trail is a fairly famous and difficult trail for 4x4 enthusiasts. The history and changes throughout the year are interesting for some, so I'll leave this here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubicon_Trail

https://www.edcgov.us/government/rubicon/pages/information_to_the_rubicon_trail.aspx

Some of my personal past adventures are catalogued here on the site in trail reports sections, and here's a few of my favorite photos from past trips:

19494d1441726078-rubicon-trail-labor-day-weekend-2015-img_0867.jpg

19493d1441726078-rubicon-trail-labor-day-weekend-2015-img_0848.jpg

19491d1441726078-rubicon-trail-labor-day-weekend-2015-img_0881.jpg

IMG_0267_zps6e7c0ff1.jpg

There are many very difficult portions of this trail, mostly all are bypassable. With good spotting, low gearing, and lockers it can be done. Above is typical of a bypass' difficulty (last photo with Uncles Orange Jeep)

There are no hotels or restaraunts close to the trail entrance we use (Loon Lake). This is tent "rough" camping, at least while on the trail. If you have a motorhome / tow rig, the trip from exit of the trail to entrance is about 2-1/2 hour drive back on mostly highway 50, but that would be after a very long day on the trail for new users going all the way through it etc.

My Tentative plan, depending on input, would be to Stage first night @ a good free campground near the trail. The first day of wheeling we'd do "the loop" between the two Entrances from The west side direction, and either end back at the same campground, or possibly stay at the Wentworth springs campground. The next day would be a long day of wheeling heading back in the trail and going to either Buck Island lake, or a little further into Rubicon Spring. The springs is nicer to camp at soft ground wise, and usually less "rowdy" as there's a caretaker and it's paid camping per rig. They'll sometimes allow fires during restriction times, etc.

From the springs, there is not much of a drive out, so we have 3 choices: Head back towards buck island for picnic, swim, fish day and some more wheeling, or camp out enjoying the springs area, or head out to Tahoe over famous Cadillac hill.

The Exact plan TBD depending on who's all going, how much time can be spent, etc. Can spend a day or two before the trip or after in the El Dorado forest area where there are a lot of nice trails to explore and a few nice lakes etc. We can even have a home base and just go in and out each day, and when ready to make full trip for those who want to, some who don't can stay behind and camp and watch the others' stuff etc. - many of options depending on who wants to go, and what you all want to do.

We have to pack in and out all the stuff we'll need (Food & drink, cooking equipment, waste, clothing, bedding, etc) and unless you have a sweet trail trailer, it's all got to fit in our jeeps.

I'll post more soon, let me know if you're interested, and we'll start getting a plan.

As far as dates. It's hard to plan a late spring / early summer trip before we know how the weather for the winter was. For example, we've been up there in 100 degree weather in Early May before, and this year the snow is just melting off the trail as of last few weekends. The trail is closed for 2 weeks around the end of July every year for a private hosted trip (also a option to go then, but very crowded, expensive, and not as "free" to do our own thing. On the plus side, food is included in the cost mostly I believe, and there are helpers everywhere for trail fixes, winching, emergencies, etc. Memorial day weekend and 4th of July weekend get a bit wild. We usually avoid them.

I would recommend around now, or just after the 4th of July weekend. There is a calendar on pirate 4x4 that users try to post large group runs on to let you decide dates that work for you. We don't want to impede large groups progress, but it's nice with "Some" others on the trail too for assistance etc.

Speaking of which, since there are no ambulances, no (reasonable) towing / repair companies on the trail, plans can always change at a moments notice as my group always stops to at least offer assistance to broken rigs / injured people. In addition, if something breaks on one of our rigs or people, we'd ensure they're safe and handled top priority. Just something to keep in mind. We'd still have a good time and do the trail, but the itinerary may change on the fly.

It's a beautiful trail, very fun challenge (in my opinion) and can be done in non "crawler" type rigs. If you're interested but worried about being able to make it through, let me know and I'll let you know my opinion on what you can expect personally.

More to come.

:chug:

Calling POSI! lol

I know you've been waiting on this one... Coldair too.

:notworthy:

I added a poll. Don't be afraid to say interested but don't like the camping part - we may have some options for you to still see things, and have a good time too even though you don't like sleeping in the dirt these days :D

I know dates matter, so don't worry so much about date yet, just interest level, and post reply about best dates for you or any concerns / questions.

Im down for camping on the rubicon. When does the weather get good?

Oh yah!

Dates do matter...for those of us driving a long way to Moab, having this ride after that one might be the only way for us to attend. I realize for anyone wanting to do both would have to get consecutive weeks off work. We would like to do this, but it would need to be relatively close in dates to the Moab ride or Colorado ride. Maybe not back to back, but at least close.

Dates do matter...for those of us driving a long way to Moab, having this ride after that one might be the only way for us to attend. I realize for anyone wanting to do both would have to get consecutive weeks off work. We would like to do this, but it would need to be relatively close in dates to the Moab ride or Colorado ride. Maybe not back to back, but at least close.

Definitely get that. :D Let's see who all is interested first and how those interested feel from there on dates & plans. I'm very flexible with the dates so far. Right after Moab may be tough as unless super dry winter it will still be snowy, and I can personally guarantee the icy / snowy Rubicon trail isn't what you all would enjoy yet... lol We did that, it was a lot of sliding around and winching etc.

We could talk about combining or spreading out further etc.

Thank you JR for setting this up I understand its a lot of work on your part and its much appreciated. This will be a great time!

From Moab to Loon Lake is a 13 ish hour drive one way. Just a FYI

I would be in for a ride with someone if that is possible. I'm always into dry camping and can pack pretty light and I can even do KItchen Duty. The Rubicon is on my bucket list for many years. I just doubt my jeep will be ready within a year.

Thank you JR for trying to set up this ride. We would love to go, and we are in for camping. I understand doing this as early as the Moab ride is snow and slush, and no we don't want that. Maybe we will scratch the Colorado ride if the Rubicon dates are not with a week or two of any other scheduled ride. Like you said, let's wait and see who is interested. Thanks again!

Yeah totally open for whatever is most convenient for you travelers. We'll make something work. We can talk more about some possibilities in Colorado too when there soon :)

Belizean - I'm sure we can make something work. I may have a trailer by then (wishful thinking) or we'll just pile everything in other peoples jeeps and open my back seat up if nothing else. I take some rough lines sometimes on purpose for fun, but always give passengers the option to hop out before :D

I would be in for a ride with someone if that is possible. I'm always into dry camping and can pack pretty light and I can even do KItchen Duty. The Rubicon is on my bucket list for many years. I just doubt my jeep will be ready within a year.

For you so far in budget planning, look into flying in to SMF - Sacramento International Airport. 20 minutes away from my house and hitch a rid up the mountain vs flying in to Tahoe and being on wrong end of the trail :laugh:

There has to be more people that’s interested in this trip.

For you so far in budget planning, look into flying in to SMF - Sacramento International Airport. 20 minutes away from my house and hitch a rid up the mountain vs flying in to Tahoe and being on wrong end of the trail :laugh:

Thanks for the offer, really appreciate that. I was wondering the other day what would be the best way of getting in there. I will keep all this in mind, also that part about getting out maybe a couple few times for the roughest parts. :) I have had a picture of a jeep hanging in my office for a few decades that is on the rubicon. I would love to scratch this one off my bucket list

There has to be more people that’s interested in this trip.

It's ok so far. I'll probably leave this up until at least after Colorado ride too and tally up a bit after to start the "dates" thread and actual trip planning - or just edit the poll and leave this up for info - we'll see. Truthfully a smaller group first time wouldn't be the end of the world either. More the merrier, but even if just 2 I'd still go and have a blast.

Thanks for the offer, really appreciate that. I was wondering the other day what would be the best way of getting in there. I will keep all this in mind, also that part about getting out maybe a couple few times for the roughest parts. :) I have had a picture of a jeep hanging in my office for a few decades that is on the rubicon. I would love to scratch this one off my bucket list

I've heard this is a bucket list item for a few people, I'd love to help scratch that off for some folks! I just hope I do it justice! lol

I would love to make it but it's soooo far from the northeast corner of the U.S.. I'll be watching for reports and pictures.

I would love to make it but it's soooo far from the northeast corner of the U.S.. I'll be watching for reports and pictures.

With the trip you two just made across the US I'd imagine you're ready to spend some time at home for a bit :laugh:

This won't be the last time, maybe it will be feasible at another time still for you. Even if just a fly in and ride deal.

With the trip you two just made across the US I'd imagine you're ready to spend some time at home for a bit :laugh:

This won't be the last time, maybe it will be feasible at another time still for you. Even if just a fly in and ride deal.

So true on the wanting to spend time at home. I've gone back to work part time so I can start saving my money for a plane ticket.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks