Rounded rusted bolts

Rounded rusted bolts

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
Im tearing the front axle out of my parts Jeep right now. The only 2 bolts stopping me now are two on the driveshaft. :mad: Thats right two on the driveshaft. The rear has 2 stripped and the front has two stripped. I have no need for the driveshaft itself. Its freakin cold out these days. Any problem hitting the driveshaft with the sawsall?

better idea, grind the heads off of the bolts, then remove old bolts from yolk, save the driveshaft sell it on craigslist, more money for the project. other than that no problem cutting the driveshafts as long as there is no load on em, and you wheels are chocked.

Could go that way. Have to borrow a grinder though. Crappy one I had took a :dung: while I was making my tonnaue cover props. I always like to resell as much as I can but I make sacrifice this one just to get it in the garage and outta the cold. High of 19 this weekend. :down:

Could go that way. Have to borrow a grinder though. Crappy one I had took a :dung: while I was making my tonnaue cover props. I always like to resell as much as I can but I make sacrifice this one just to get it in the garage and outta the cold. High of 19 this weekend. :down:

Got an HF close buy ? Junky but effective.

why not take the cap off the spline and let it slip apart.

How you going to get the CJ in the garage with no axle??

And I'd just take the axle out and let the driveshaft slip apart and take it all away at once...

Yeah but Im gonna get a a good one this time around.
Got an HF close buy ? Junky but effective.

Dont want to. Just want the axle in the garage to use on the other Cj thats in there already. :D Couldnt get the driveshaft to slip apart. Not sure why , it got too dark.
How you going to get the CJ in the garage with no axle??
And I'd just take the axle out and let the driveshaft slip apart and take it all away at once...

Its just an organ donor , not a runner :D
better yet why won't it move with the ds in, something locked up? bet you didn't know you were going to get the third degree did you? :D

I had even thought of just dropping the t-case and dragging it along. :eek: I havent really had driveshaft issues before. Is the front end of the shaft splined? I think theres a grease fitting there. Its pretty crusty so I may have missed the cap that needs removed. :dunno:
why not take the cap off the spline and let it slip apart.

Yeah but Im gonna get a a good one this time around.

Dont want to. Just want the axle in the garage to use on the other Cj thats in there already. :D Couldnt get the driveshaft to slip apart. Not sure why , it got too dark.

Its just an organ donor , not a runner :D

Beat the piss out of a Dewalt 4 1/2 incher. Still going strong.

Got it on sale at Lowes

I recently used these:
GRIP-TITE Super Socket Set for removing rounded off nuts and bolts! By Better Tools & Fasteners

If your on the cheap heat it with a small torch then hit it with pb blaster, let it soak then lock a set of vise grips on it as tight as you can then tap the vice grips with a hammer firm but not to hard. After a few taps it'll break free and turn. If it doesn't heat spray and repeat.

Another trick heat it hot almost glowing then hit the seam/thread area with a candle the wax will liquefy and soak into the threads, use the vice grips, hammer technique!

Last edited:
the wax idea is a winner. I used it on the manifold to exhaust flange stud, worked like a charm. Thanks Brock, I'm pretty sure I heard this from you a while back.
On the other hand, cold sux!! Do what you gotta do to get back in doors.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks