rocker arms problems ?

rocker arms problems ?

chadalan

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 cj5 straight 6 258 cid . 3 speed man Tran for now.
I had a ticking in the engine took off the rocker arms and found two pushrods were bent slightly so i changed all of them. After putting everything back I started the engine and ran for a min then started knocking, opened it back up and found it snapped the bolts and the pivot/bridge in half. Got new ones put them in and this time it ran for a while then did it again same ones snapped wth? Need help PLEASE

My first hunch would be piston to valve clearance. How well was it running when you had everything back together? Do you have any way to put compressed air to that cylinder to see if either intake or exhaust valve are leaking?

If you have any pictures of the top of the cylinder head with the valve cover removed, this could possibly help.

I had a ticking in the engine took off the rocker arms and found two pushrods were bent slightly so i changed all of them. After putting everything back I started the engine and ran for a min then started knocking, opened it back up and found it snapped the bolts and the pivot/bridge in half. Got new ones put them in and this time it ran for a while then did it again same ones snapped wth? Need help PLEASE

Stuck valve? Same 2 every time? Do they look like they are getting oil through em? Are you over tightening the bolts.. They only get torqued to 20-25 lbs.

Pull another push rod and compare it to the rest of the stock ones..

It was running well, just had a constant ticking. Had power wasn't smoking, running hot. I'm going to get it to a buddy's who has air, and I will take pics and post. Thanks

Yes it was the same two. I torqued them down to 22. I would say they were getting oil through. The pushrods were slightly bent on the ones that broke 3rd cylinder. The 4th were bent more than them. The stock bolts look as if they were stretched. They were skinnier in the middle. The rest look fine.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks