rocker arm wear question

rocker arm wear question

jeepboy45

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7, Newly rebuilt AMC 360!, fully rebuilt GM TH400, Quadra-trac TC w/Milemarker 2x4 conversion, AMC mod 20 rear w/1 piece Moser axleshafts, mod 30 front w/tie rod flip and castor correction shims, 4 in lift, Centech complete wiring harness, dual electric fans on 3 core aluminum radiator, tilt steering wheel, 20 gal poly gas tank, new J20 steering box, MSD 6A ignition combined with TeamRush distributor mods
Hey everyone....

I'm finishing the build on my 360 and was going to re-use the rockers, bridges, pivots and pushrods. No pushrods are bent. All bridges are the stamped out metal version, not the aluminum cast ones prone to breaking.

My question is: Who here has experience in looking at rockers and knowing if they are worn out?

I'd rather not throw $150 - $175 at new stock parts if these really arent worn out. In the grand scheme, it might not be a lot of money, but it is still a waste if its not necessary. (and my wallet is a bit light right now)

Someone wrote in another forum that whenever new cam / lifters are used, do NOT re-use pushrods... But IMHO I dont see that as a valid statement.

Anyway, just wondering what your thoughts are regarding wear...

brian

I have never built a 360 but I have built many other motors and have always reused the push rods as long as they are not bent or pluged.

I have never built a 360 but I have built many other motors and have always reused the push rods as long as they are not bent or pluged.

what do you know about rocker arm wear?

I believe I am getting worried over nothing, and am second-guessing things I dont really to be

I have never changed them out either when just doing a rebuild. Just look them over for noticeable wear but I think it would be rare.

i just rebuilt a 350 chevy for mine. i reused the rockers and push rods. i blew through them all and made sure they were straight. i didnt pay much attention to the rocker arms though. i had problems with some of them oiling. we figured out it was the rocker arm mushroomed up and the push rod was blocking the oiling hole. as a end result all new push rods and rocker arms fixed it right up. just look at them really close. i have seen people reuse the old stuff all the time with no issues. im just to odd duck i guess. lol

Hey everyone....

I'm finishing the build on my 360 and was going to re-use the rockers, bridges, pivots and pushrods. No pushrods are bent. All bridges are the stamped out metal version, not the aluminum cast ones prone to breaking.

My question is: Who here has experience in looking at rockers and knowing if they are worn out?

I'd rather not throw $150 - $175 at new stock parts if these really arent worn out. In the grand scheme, it might not be a lot of money, but it is still a waste if its not necessary. (and my wallet is a bit light right now)

Someone wrote in another forum that whenever new cam / lifters are used, do NOT re-use pushrods... But IMHO I dont see that as a valid statement.

Anyway, just wondering what your thoughts are regarding wear...

brian

:)If your changing the cam by all means change the lifters & timing chain and related gears.

The rockers have three areas of wear........the ball stud socket area, the contact ball where the pushrods fit in and the pad where the rocker slides across the valve tip................if they have turned blue or have left a sharp edge anywhere they are worn. Check the same on your pushrods around the oil hole and round ball.................
:D:D:D:D

:)If your changing the cam by all means change the lifters & timing chain and related gears.

The rockers have three areas of wear........the ball stud socket area, the contact ball where the pushrods fit in and the pad where the rocker slides across the valve tip................if they have turned blue or have left a sharp edge anywhere they are worn. Check the same on your pushrods around the oil hole and round ball.................
:D:D:D:D

X2. You can easily tell a worn rocker from a fresh one...the wear is very evident.

thanks,

I'm not trying to overthink this, just do it right the first time....

I put it all together last night, and hopefully have the engine out and replacement back in this weekend.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks