ring and pinion exploded

ring and pinion exploded

mattp220

Jeeper
Thanks
Hi everyone, what an awesome forum. Lots of useful tips here. Anyway, last year I bought my first jeep, a 79 CJ7 Renegade with a 360 in it. I bought it to have some fun and also to learn about vehicles. Last fall I was driving it and there was an aweful grinding towards the front. Pulled over, and noticed that the drive shaft had tons of play towards the front diff, later I revealed that the ring and pinion exploded. While i was pulled over i noticed i was leaking lots of transmission fluid, it was every where. Why would this have happened too? Could the drive shaft have hit the transmission fluid tank and cracked the gasket? Any help would be great. Thanks

Sounds to me like you were driving down the road in 4WD.

Yeah, were you driving on pavement or other hard surface in 4WD. In the older Jeeps that is an absolute no no.

Is this an auto trans ?
Do you have a shackle reversal ?
What were you doing when this happened ?
Please fill out your jeep profile so we know what you have.

Yeah, were you driving on pavement or other hard surface in 4WD. In the older Jeeps that is an absolute no no.

I was on pavement when this happened. My jeep is a Quadra-trac, so its always in 4WD. I guess i didn't know i couldnt drive on pavement. What would be the reason for all the transmission fluid?
So if i wanted to ever drive this jeep on pavement, i would have to replace it with a 2x4 transfer case and front locking hubs, right?
Again, Thanks a lot

I was on pavement when this happened. My jeep is a Quadra-trac, so its always in 4WD. I guess i didn't know i couldnt drive on pavement. What would be the reason for all the transmission fluid?
So if i wanted to ever drive this jeep on pavement, i would have to replace it with a 2x4 transfer case and front locking hubs, right?

What does a shackle reversal do? like i said Im kinda new at this stuff.:)

Well, that's a different story now isn't it. It seems like that should have been mentioned at the very beginning and I feel foolish for assuming that your Jeep was not a Quadra-trac. No matter what you've potentially got BIG trouble, good luck with it now.

Well, that's a different story now isn't it. It seems like that should have been mentioned at the very beginning and I feel foolish for assuming that your Jeep was not a Quadra-trac. No matter what you've potentially got BIG trouble, good luck with it now.
This is what happens when people don't fill out there profile. I don't know enough about the Quadta-trac to help but I'm with Hedgehog sound like big problems.

When it blew the front diff. damage could have been caused to the transfer case and transmission because of the binding and shock when it tried to lock up. I guess it's possible that all that could have hurt something and it caused the leak.

You have some work to do for sure. I'd look into a part time kit for the QT full time set up. I know Mile Marker used to offer one for the full time Chevys years ago. I don't know if one if available for the QT full time.

Is the Jeep mobile now? If so, wash down all the trans. fluid, top up the fluid level and run it down the road and back just to see if you can locate the area where the transmission is leaking. If you're lucky, it just puked out fluid because the front end attempted to lock it down when it started to seize up and blow. I ain't never experienced that kind of luck, though :rolleyes:.

Good luck with the repairs.

Vote once daily!

Quadratrac should be fine driving on pavement, even though it is full time 4wd.

That said, it does sound like your front end locking up messed up something else in the drivetrain. Only way to know exactly what happened is to see where your leak is, and determine if it is simply a leak, or if something in the tranny/tcase is messed up.

On the front end, you can probably find a cheap complete front axle and swap the whole thing in cheaper than you can get a new ring/pinion installed. Just somethingto consider. You'll have to make sure the gear ratio in a replacement axle is the same gear ratio you currently have in your rear diff.

I re-read this post this morning and while the Quadratrac could have been in full-time mode, it doesn't really matter as you have damage somewhere and it's likely related to the front differential (either caused by the diff or QT).

So one most likely caused the other. QT parts are harder do find, but not impossible and depending on the damage a used one with a new chain may be best option.

You'll find some who hate the Quadratrac, but if used as designed and cared for it's a fine transfer case. I have one and wouldn't want anything else - for what "I" do.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks