Reverse Switch on Borg Warner T18 Trans

Reverse Switch on Borg Warner T18 Trans

pwalsh1487

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘79 CJ5, 304, T18, D20, AMC20, D30
I have a 79 CJ 5 with a Borg Warner T18 4 speed transmission installed by a previous owner. Just finishing up a complete rewire with Painless Performance wiring harness and, for the life of me, I can’t find the reverse switch / electrical contacts on the tranny to connect the reverse light wires to or the 4wd contacts on the transfer case to connect the 4wd indicator wires to ... I am a complete Newbie so any help or photos would be appreciated!! Thanks,

I have a 79 CJ 5 with a Borg Warner T18 4 speed transmission installed by a previous owner. Just finishing up a complete rewire with Painless Performance wiring harness and, for the life of me, I can’t find the reverse switch / electrical contacts on the tranny to connect the reverse light wires to or the 4wd contacts on the transfer case to connect the 4wd indicator wires to ... I am a complete Newbie so any help or photos would be appreciated!! Thanks,

Trans reverse switch should be on the DS top rear of the plate, single contact switch.
Transfer case switch on both Dana 20 and D300 are on the top PS right at the shift rail detents.

Much appreciated Basod! Maybe they’re both so crudded over that they’re not obvious ... will hit it with some light sandpaper and see what emerges.

If they're all covered with crud the best thing I found after covering myself with splash back from the 0degree nozzle with my pressure washer was heavy duty oven cleaner - don't worry it's not gonna eat through an aluminum housing.

Not sure if you can buy straight Lye drain cleaner anymore but its the best degreaser - oven cleaner is already an aerosol version

I took both of them out and set them on a pallet and used 3-4cans brushing with a heavy nylon brush in between rinses

The oven cleaner did the trick ... found the reverse light switch on the tranny & have a replacement ordered. Still searching for the 4WD indicator switch on the transfer case but I’ll persevere! As a non-mechanically inclined newbie to Jeeps, I’m not sure what type transfer case I have but surely I’ll find the switch once I get it cleaned up. THANK YOU again Basod!

You might not need a new switch if you have a multimeter check resistance on the lowest setting from the switch pin to the transmission case and shift from neutral to reverse it should show low ohms in reverse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basod ... the terminals on the switch were broken off so I grabbed a new one at the local parts store. Would you mind taking a look at the attached photo ... is this by chance the switch / connector on the transfer case for the 4x4 indicator lamp? It’s the only thing on or near the transfer case that remotely resembles a connector. THANKS again for all your help & input!

Attachments

• A671EE40-D4DD-43A5-87CD-680FF268C2BD.jpg
    A671EE40-D4DD-43A5-87CD-680FF268C2BD.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 31
Look over on the passenger side on the tcase on top where the shift lever connects to the two shift rails might be easier to remove the boot cover inside the tunnel cover there should be a hexagonal plug with a single brass round terminal sticking out- that’s the 4x4 switch.

The reverse switch will look similar but on the opposite side again somewhat accessible from the top of the tunnel cover but near the rear ds of the transmission.

I’ll try to link some pics tomorrow.

Thanks! I have a couple of hexagonal plugs on the TC that look to be in the right position but neither one of them have any type of terminal. Will also try to send photos tomorrow

Here's a few pictures of the T18 and Dana 20 and Dana300 T cases.
The Dana 20 may not have a switch just a blank plug

Attachments

• T18 transmission.jpg
    T18 transmission.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Dana 20.jpg
    Dana 20.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Dana 300.jpg
    Dana 300.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 20
I can stop banging my head against the wall now ... based on the pics you shared, I have a blank plug. Many thanks!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks