Vehicle(s)
1978 cj7
hi guys
made reverse light not working where do the they plug in to on 1978 auto box
some one has fitted painless wiring kit and not fitted this wire
thanks
paul

Welcome the the forum!
Are you asking where the back up switch is? If I understand you correctly, the switch should be right next to the shift arm on the side of the transmission. This is where the back up light wires would plug in.

He has an automatic the reverse switch is on the column. It is combined with the nutreal safety switch

He has an automatic the reverse switch is on the column. It is combined with the nutreal safety switch
Ah! Thanks bzahler, I don't have much experience with Jeep automatics. I was going from a picture that I found online.

Is this a stock automatic trans? I am assuming that you have the turbo 400 trans. Do you have the shifter on the steering column ?

Is this a stock automatic trans? I am assuming that you have the turbo 400 trans. Do you have the shifter on the steering column ?

My 1980 CJ7 tf400 auto has a column shifter. The plug for reverse lights and ignition cutout, some other stuff, is a three parallel pronged steel connector extending from left side of the tranny. The connector is a soft rubber boot with 3 internal plug receptacles. The rubber boot got heat-damaged before I got the beast and won't stay connected.

One of the prongs, if grounded, will de-activate the START ONLY IN PARK switch. I've done that as a temp fix until I get a new rubber boot connector. Now she starts in all gears.

The indicator that I made this in-flight mod is that the 4WD light on the speedo stays on perpetually. With 35's and an auto, shifting the D300 into 4WD that I've never needed to use.

My 1980 CJ7 tf400 auto has a column shifter. The plug for reverse lights and ignition cutout, some other stuff, is a three parallel pronged steel connector extending from left side of the tranny. The connector is a soft rubber boot with 3 internal plug receptacles. The rubber boot got heat-damaged before I got the beast and won't stay connected.

One of the prongs, if grounded, will de-activate the START ONLY IN PARK switch. I've done that as a temp fix until I get a new rubber boot connector. Now she starts in all gears.

The indicator that I made this in-flight mod is that the 4WD light on the speedo stays on perpetually. With 35's and an auto, shifting the D300 into 4WD that I've never needed to use.
I just posted about this in another thread. Mine is also melted and mine starts in all gears. My linkage to the column is also messed up and needs adjusting.
Did you find a plug!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks