Reverse light not lighting up (CJ7 1977)

Reverse light not lighting up (CJ7 1977)

Rdavison39

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ7. 304 H. 52,000 original miles.
2010 Wrangler 2Dr
Okay - i guess i don't understand electricity. Trying to get the reverse lights working.

1. When i check voltage on the reverse light socket across the middle (+) and the metal socket that secures the bulb it reads 11.97 V (DC).
2. When i put the bulb in it does not light up
3. The parking lights, brake lights, and signal on the socket below work fine. When i check voltage on these lights is 12.35V (DC).
4. Hoping it was the bulb(s) i tested them out by connecting wire directly to the battery. All the bulbs worked fine.

So would it be that 11.97 V isn't enough power the bulb. Otherwise I just don't get why the bulb wouldn't light.

BTW - it happens in both RHS and LHS tail lights so i'm thinking i fundamentally am missing something.

What transmission do you have? T-150, T18, or TH400 (Quadratrac)?

I'm not sure what transmission it is (how do i tell)

When i checked the reverse switch using a continuity tester, the circuit was complete when in reverse and no continuity when not in reverse. So I'm thinking its job is to complete the circuit when in reverse which it seems to be doing. I also took the reverse switch out from the tranny and inspected it and it looked and tested fine as well.

Not sure i understand the reverse polarity thing - will go look up on the web

Also - i traced the wire back from the reverse switch mounted on the transmission. It surfaces in the hood with a 2 wires going into a connector that has 3 wires coming out of it. 2 wires go back to the fuse panel and w goes towards the engine but it doesn't connect anywhere. Its just hangin there. Should it connect to something or is it for another feature that this jeep doesn't have?

I did disconnect the wire coming from the reverse switch and tested the continuity - it has continuity when gear is in reverse....

Pictures attached..

Attachments

• reverse switch wires.jpg
    reverse switch wires.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 648
Okay - maybe i should try stuff out before posting. Sorry. I jumped the wires at the switch and the lights came on so must be a faulty switch.

Thanks anyway.
Ron

Okay - maybe i should try stuff out before posting. Sorry. I jumped the wires at the switch and the lights came on so must be a faulty switch.

Thanks anyway.

Ron

Try cleaning before replacing. I have cleaned mine multiple times.

Ign switch has to be in 'run' to activate the circuit.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks