Reupholstering OEM seats vs new aftermarket

Reupholstering OEM seats vs new aftermarket

FiNorman

Senior Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, AMC 360, lunati cam, AX15, Affordable Fuel Injection, edelbrock performer manifold, 21 gallon fuel tank, Old Man Emu 2.5 inch lift, 1 inch body lift, tie rod flip, HMMWV H1 steering box, rear disc brake conversion, Dana 44 rear, YJ to CJ tub conversion, still working on 33 inch tires, Metallic dark blue paint.

Scrambler Project, cosmetically taking it back to the 80's- 1984 Scrambler, Laredo. 258cc, Holley Sniper EFI, 30in tires on Laredo polished wheels, Dana 44 rear, OME 2.5 YJ springs/lift, HMMWV steering box

Previously owned cj 7, 1979, Renegade, 258 and a '89 wrangler
I know I could easily buy aftermarket seats, but we really haven't found any we love in a two tone pattern with the vertical stripes in a color scheme that would go with the Ford Impact Blue we plan to paint the jeep in. My plan is to find some original seats that are structurally sound, redo the covers in custom leather from a place called Lseats.
I found a pair for $250, the new covers would be $300. pics enclosed. My question... is this a doable plan? Do I need to replace the springs and foam as well as the covers to do this? I haven't seen anybody really do this although I did find a thread where one of the members did something similar in Haartz blue. Is this more complicated or more expensive than I expect?

Sent from my iPhone

My question... is this a doable plan? Do I need to replace the springs and foam as well as the covers to do this? I haven't seen anybody really do this although I did find a thread where one of the members did something similar in Haartz blue. Is this more complicated or more expensive than I expect?

:)
Nothing wrong with Reupholstering.........I think it's a great Idea.

Whatever donor seat you find make sure that it will fit correctly in the Jeep.....in respect to the mounted seat height and seat length. Point is car seats and the angles there made at may not be favorable in a Jeep............. Early Spring suspension seats are more comfortable overall than newer memory foam seats. Some springs may need some attention to tighten up.

Personally I would consider having your seats done by a guy that does it for a living..........and here is why: colors & trim are endless, he can fix the suspension.........he can also add some memory foam around the seat bowl & back to better fit your torso which customizes the seat and cost wise as compared to $300 seat covers it's only another $75-100 per seat.

One last thing.........if you use your Jeep in cold weather.......seat heaters are the hot set-up .....under $100 to do 2-seats.......would not be without them.

I know I'm spending your money but , you only go around once.

:D:D:D:D

While your at it, reinforce the the seat back at the bottom of the frame where it's a know area to fail.
LG

How do you do the seat warmer set up?

Any diagram or description of where I should reenforce? Both my 79 Cj and 87 yj had the seat broken on one side that left me looking like a Crip driving around

Add a 'doubler' at the seat-back's base where the other seat broke.
This is a known problem area. Kinda a PITA to fix, as the foam is glued to the seat-back frame.
I did a GOGGLE search for you and came up empty.:confused:
Maybe your search FOO is stronger.
LG

Seats are a total PITA! There is no really good answer, That I have found. Upholstering original seats Is a great idea , very cost effective and they never loose the ergonomic position of the seat. But, are they really all that comfortable and if you do any kind of off roading You may have noticed they don't do a really great job of keeping you behind the wheel and peddles. On the other option, I have yet to see an aftermarket seat that really fits a
cj at any other point but the 4 bolt holes in the bottom. All of a sudden you find the horn button on your chest , the wheel rim in your lap and your favorite head is now above the roll bar. Next thing you know "Aw , all I need is a pair of junk yard seats" becomes 6 or $700 and a pretty fair amount of work. I do hope you find the holey grail of seat swaps that CJ guys talk about and recommend for years to come.:chug:

Re-upholstering seats is really the only way to get exactly the seat you want. Also, if you don't like the feel of the seats, you can replace, reinforce or re-shape the seat foam cushions before the upholsterer gets her hands on them. Then you'll get really custom seats.

Another cool seat customization is to install speakers in the headrests. That, in conjunction with some perforated leather makes for some pretty cool seats.

I once bought a set of seats from a Pontiac Fiero that had factory speakers in the headrests. I had them reupholstered in nice leather and installed them in a 1976 MGB roadster. That was a very good upgrade for the MGB, looked pretty stock, and made the radio much easier to hear when the top was down.

Seats are a total PITA! There is no really good answer, That I have found. Upholstering original seats Is a great idea , very cost effective and they never loose the ergonomic position of the seat. But, are they really all that comfortable and if you do any kind of off roading You may have noticed they don't do a really great job of keeping you behind the wheel and peddles. On the other option, I have yet to see an aftermarket seat that really fits a
cj at any other point but the 4 bolt holes in the bottom. All of a sudden you find the horn button on your chest , the wheel rim in your lap and your favorite head is now above the roll bar. Next thing you know "Aw , all I need is a pair of junk yard seats" becomes 6 or $700 and a pretty fair amount of work. I do hope you find the holey grail of seat swaps that CJ guys talk about and recommend for years to come.:chug:
Boy Howdy are you ever right! I did a re-upholster job originally then said forget it! I went to the Corbeau's Baja XRS and I've never felt better.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks