Replacing windshield seal??

Replacing windshield seal??

jeepnmomma

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 Laredo
Found out the windshield seal is leaking. The glass is good but the seal is bad. But can't seem to find anywhere that carries the seal for the CJ7. The places I did find say to replace the glass because the seals now are either bigger or smaller then the original seal. SO anyone know a fix? Or a place to get an actual seal that will work without having to replace the glass? The only other option is have the glass place use a sealer and try and get it to stop leaking.

Might want to check the seal at the windshield frame to cowl too. I thought mine was leaking at the glass, so I had a shop replace it only to find out its the frame to cowl seal:mad:

I can see the water streak come from the corner of the window seal. BUT i'm going to replace the cowl seal anyway since the previous owner tried to do a fix themselves and just gunked up the seal to make that stop leaking (cowl is leaking on the passenger side and its leaking from the windshield on the drivers side)
thanks though!

Have you ever replaced the seal without replacing the glass? On quadratec it says that it should be used with a new Windshield Frame when replacing the windshield glass. I just want to replace the seal. Do you know if the one on the 4wd hardware site is different?

I have replaced the seal before without changing the glass or the frame. Unfortunately it was on mt 72 so there are difference.

Having recently replaced my windshield and seal. Take it to a good glass shop have them order the seal and put it in. They'll make it fit and if they break the glass they'll replace it.

I talked to a couple glass shops and 1 can't even get the seals for the CJ7 BUT can get them for everything else CJ5 CJ6 CJ8 etc. The other company I talked to said to just bring it by to see if they can even do anything! So basically they weren't any help! I'm gonna call the local jeep deal and see if they know anything (which i'm not holding my breath since I asked them about other things on my jeep and they were clueless!)

I talked to a couple glass shops and 1 can't even get the seals for the CJ7 BUT can get them for everything else CJ5 CJ6 CJ8 etc~~~

All CJs from 75 and down use the same seal

and

76 and up use the same seal

- regardless of it being a 5, 7 or 8... :)

All CJs from 75 and down use the same seal

and

76 and up use the same seal

- regardless of it being a 5, 7 or 8... :)

That is what I thought BUT no one ever listens to me! Do you happen to have something that I can get to show that? Then their other concern was breaking my glass if the seal is all dried out. So I don't know if they are not going to work on it because it might be dried and they might break it or what.

They are worried about breaking the glass because of the old seal?
All they have to do is cut it off with a razor, takes like 1 min., weird.
Yeah the various CJ's used the same stuff like CJ stated.

Having recently replaced my windshield and seal. Take it to a good glass shop have them order the seal and put it in. They'll make it fit and if they break the glass they'll replace it.

Be careful what you ask for, a shop might also take a perfectly good one piece seal and cut it in the middle to make it fit, then use silicone to fill in the gap. which will leak anyway..

Bill

Their messin with you over that windshield. The gaskets are a readily available item through any number of outlets, as is the windshild glass. It's SOP to just cut the upper part of the gasket seal off and gently push the glass out from the top. I have installed quite a few over the years, and I MAY have cracked only one in the process. I simply do it on a warm day and heat the gasket first, then lube the gasket channel, and work the glass into place. Any GOOD glass installer should be able to do the job, but not as many shops employ good installers with knowledge of this type of gasket. Newer vehicles don't use this system to hold glass anymore, so installers generally don't get to see them on a regular basis, and get afraid to do the job. Just another one of those "do it yourself" jobs you should learn to do to avoid this kind of hassle. It's getting hard to find people that speak the Jeep language anymore, so most of us have learned that to get it done, we have to do it ourselves! :cool:

It's getting hard to find people that speak the Jeep language anymore, so most of us have learned that to get it done, we have to do it ourselves! :cool:

thanks! I might have to just do it myself! Since they still are acting like there is no such thing as a CJ7 seal! I need to find a glass installer that speaks the language!!!!!

I had a new tinted glass windshield installed here in Brenham for $125.00 last week. That's glass, seal & installed.

To remove the seal I used a carpenters knife and cut all the way around on the inside removing the rubber lip. The windshield is on the outside. It is easier if you remove the windshield frame and lay flat or tilt it down onto the hood. Once the lip is removed run the carpenters knife parallel to the window and under the frame which should cut the sealant and separate the windshield from the frame. Patience is needed. Then gently press on the window near the frame and you should find that it is coming loose. Cut deeper if needed until the glass if free. Remove gasket from around glass and clean all sealant and residue off the glass. It took me about 30 minutes to remove the glass. It then took me several days to fix the frame so I could reinstall the glass. Too much rust. Standard gasket from 4wd.:chug:

X2
I just had mine done. I ordered the new seal from Quadratec (got it the next day) had the glass company put the new glass in the frame. Just about everyone I talked to wouldn't install my old glass with a new seal. But if I bought new glass they would.
It was fogging a bit at the edges so I got tnew glass.
If you feel like learning how to install it, more power to you. But at $125 a shot that can be an expensive lesson. I let them eat that cost.:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom