Replacement Vapor Cannister

Replacement Vapor Cannister

Scout1067

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7, 258, T176, D300, D30 front diff, AMC 20 rear diff, Weber Carburetor, BDS 2.5" lift
I am planning on redoing my fuel system in the spring and am starting to research and source parts. I am going to go with the MTS 21 gallon Poly tank upgrade and mostly stick with MTS replacement parts because I get just about everything for that from JC Whitney. I will be replacing most hardware but probably not the steel lines as they are all in good shape and I am not sure if replacement steel lines would survive being shipped to a Military APO address anyway.

Are there any advantages other than they don't rust to poly vice steel tanks? I am going to be replacing the skid plate as well with one that a local guys fabs for me using my current one as a guide.

My vapor canister has what looks like a small crack on it so I want to replace that while I am at it but as I have come to discover they are very hard to find and I can't seem to find any that are a direct OE replacement. The closest I have found is the Standard Motor Products CP1039 Vapor Canister that I can get from Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/smp-cp1039/overview/

Where I am at I don't have to do emissions but I still don't want my jeep reeking like gas if I can avoid it.

It might, I am in the early stages of research and parts sourcing now. It's the little stuff that always gets you.

Just wondering if you got this figured out and could share advice? I'm about to undertake the same project, myself. Vapor can is shot and PO left hoses danging, vacuums unplugged, etc. I need to rebuild it all and am having trouble finding matching parts.

Just wondering if you got this figured out and could share advice? I'm about to undertake the same project, myself. Vapor can is shot and PO left hoses danging, vacuums unplugged, etc. I need to rebuild it all and am having trouble finding matching parts.

I ended up just deciding to ditch it when I install my tank in a few weeks.

I am planning on redoing my fuel system in the spring and am starting to research and source parts. I am going to go with the MTS 21 gallon Poly tank upgrade and mostly stick with MTS replacement parts because I get just about everything for that from JC Whitney. I will be replacing most hardware but probably not the steel lines as they are all in good shape and I am not sure if replacement steel lines would survive being shipped to a Military APO address anyway.

Are there any advantages other than they don't rust to poly vice steel tanks? I am going to be replacing the skid plate as well with one that a local guys fabs for me using my current one as a guide.

My vapor canister has what looks like a small crack on it so I want to replace that while I am at it but as I have come to discover they are very hard to find and I can't seem to find any that are a direct OE replacement. The closest I have found is the Standard Motor Products CP1039 Vapor Canister that I can get from Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/smp-cp1039/overview/

Where I am at I don't have to do emissions but I still don't want my jeep reeking like gas if I can avoid it.

Thanks for the reference to the CP1039 canister from Standard Motor Products. I bought one on Amazon to replace my damaged (and very smelly) canister and am delighted to report that my family no longer yells at me for the garage smelling like a gas station. In my case (85 CJ7, 258 with Holley carb with no fuel bowl vent port to connect to), I was able to plug into just two ports (tank vent and carb vacuum take-off), leaving the 3rd, optional port on the canister un-terminated with the splash guard in place. That port sucks in fresh air, but there is still a gentle vacuum applied to the tank vent when running. My problem before the replacement (apparently) was that after the jeep was parked and the fuel tank was emitting through the canister, it was not removing the fuel vapors effectively.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks