Replacement Fuel vapor canister.

Replacement Fuel vapor canister.

aceves6

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 Jeep CJ5, 232...all I know thus far.
Hello, I'm looking for a charcol canister. Does anyone know of a part number that I can use for my 76' CJ5? I've seen some for other vehicles that might work, but don't want to buy if I don't know for certain.

Thank you

Im order for you to legally pass smog, the oem type of cannister is required. There is another cannister that will work quite well, possibly dirty it up a bit and hope that the smog guy doesn't catch it. I can get you that p/n if you want it. Another option would be a junkyard like J & W Auto Wrecking in Lucerne Valley-They have a website.

Im order for you to legally pass smog, the oem type of cannister is required. There is another cannister that will work quite well, possibly dirty it up a bit and hope that the smog guy doesn't catch it. I can get you that p/n if you want it. Another option would be a junkyard like J & W Auto Wrecking in Lucerne Valley-They have a website.

Hell yes, send that part number over please. I had a feeling this thing would not smog without it. Thanks. :)

After gettng my new canister in and hastily drilling the port as specified in the link, I'm not sure it's supposed to actually be drilled.

Standard Motor Products CP3045 Canister Purge Valve : Amazon.com : Automotive

This is the one I got. The port on the left side (looking at the port openings) seemed to be open and not need to be drilled, and the one on the left with the "X" was blocked.

I kind of want to order a new one and test it. I would think the tank and carb vent ports are "blocked" when there is no vaccum on the vac port on purpose, so the gas doesn't evaporate, and it is vented when the engine is running, no? If you order a new canister you should attach some clean line to it and see if both those side vents are open when there is vaccum on the top port.

Torxhead, you know everything just tell me it is okay and I should let the smart people do the thinking.

When I first got mine I did a vacumn test and found out just how it works, It was a few years ago though. The two outer ports as I recall, the one for the 1/4" hose is for the fuel tank vent and it is open all the time just as is the setup on the oem cannister. If you drill out the other port it will also be open all the time, again as the oem setup is. I did not drill out the larger port as I have fuel injection and do not need a vent here. I did check it and it is plugged off, btw. The remaining ported vacumn line goes to the cto valve and the remaining pcv hose goes into a union of the carb pcv port and the pcv itself. I did drill out the smaller gas tank vent port, I don't think it was needed though.

FAILED CA SMOG TEST (evap). I have the same canister on my 1984 CJ8 with a 1996 4.0L fuel injected. One of the ports is blocked. Am I to understand that I should NOT drill it out because I have fuel injection? Also, I'm not clear what hose the PCV is-can you explain further? The line going to the pcv currently comes directly off the intake manifold. I also have a line connecting to the air intake duct off the throttle body(?)

I followed the instructions and did do the drilling out, followed by passing smog.
I did once confer with a smog checker guy and was informed that to pass smog I would need the oem canister. So I got away with it, once anyway. Another time I went in for a smog check and forgot to remove the breather cap and go busted. I did carry the correct cap, replaced it, and passed.

FAILED CA SMOG TEST (evap). I have the same canister on my 1984 CJ8 with a 1996 4.0L fuel injected. One of the ports is blocked. Am I to understand that I should NOT drill it out because I have fuel injection? Also, I'm not clear what hose the PCV is-can you explain further? The line going to the pcv currently comes directly off the intake manifold. I also have a line connecting to the air intake duct off the throttle body(?)

sorry to hear you failed smog Welcome to the Forum, sounds like you have a sweet ride

Hell yes, send that part number over please. I had a feeling this thing would not smog without it. Thanks. :)

I noticed your in Texas so you don't need to worry about passing emissions. On vehicles that old they don't require it in TX. No worries.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks