Repeated issues with steering box

Repeated issues with steering box

Patrick

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ5, LS 6.2, NV3550/D300, D44/30

68 CJ5, 350, Muncie/D18, D44/27 under construction
I am going to have to bite the bullet and go with a new non rebuilt power steering box. The fairly cheap rebuilt Cardone units won’t last. Has anyone used Borgeson boxes, or any other aftermarket brand that offers new units with successful results...thanks in advance.

Thanks, Chris. I did look at this specific box. The reviews on the Summit website worry me a bit. If you look at Borgeson’s reviews, they are more positive. I do, however, like that it is variable ratio. Borgeson’s is not.

My H1 box is reman Lares and has held up well so far.

What is an H1 box? You mean from a Hummer H1?

What is an H1 box? You mean from a Hummer H1?

Yeah. Probably just go to your local NG Armory there in EP and crawl under the fence late Sunday night and grab you one. :)

Yes the Hummer H1 box is a dead on bolt in for alter model CJ with power steering. It’s been a while but the specs of I remember were pretty much the same as the ARG super box or what ever they call it.

Hummer h1 1996-2004
Cardone 27-7595

Thanks for the information. I will look into it.

x47 on the H1 box. Perfect bolt on match. Couple that with a MORE bracket, MORE brace, and Borgeson shaft. Pretty good setup. Lots of folks on here will attest.

It’s not a fitment or performance issue that I have. It’s low quality and durability with reman units. I could not find a brand new H1 box, only reman ones. And yes, the MORE mounting bracket is almost a must. It also afforded me the ability to relocate the box for better clearance between headers and shaft. I have it along with a Borgeson shaft and u joints. Expensive but worth it.

Ok, i'll bite, what is a Borgeson shaft? And do i 'need' one?

Not to go too far off topic but how was the steering shaft replacement? That's my last steering related upgrade.

For me the steering shaft replacement was very easy. Living in AZ and having the Jeep since new means I don't deal with any rust, like most folks do. I simple removed the items up top where the lower shaft meets the upper shaft. Once I was ready to pull the gearbox out, I left the shaft connected to it, and when i dropped the gearbox, a simple tug and the shaft broke free from the upper shaft. So the old gearbox came out with the steering shaft connected. The weight of the gearbox gave me nice easy leverage, so I didn't have to pry it off up top.

Ok, i'll bite, what is a Borgeson shaft? And do i 'need' one?

You don’t need one, but it’s a nice upgrade. Borgeson makes steering components, and you select your own to come up with a custom shaft based on spline count and diameter at both ends. Not cheap.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom