Repairing frame rot

Repairing frame rot

projectcrawler

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 CJ7
I am in process of getting my frame up to par. I will try to keep this thread updated as I go in hopes it will not only help someone else, but also myself. I am not a body man by any means. I do understand metal and have a mean google button that helps me research. This is the start of a repair patch in the rear of the frame.(in front of the drivers rear shackle) I hit the frame with a ball pean hammer until I found solid steel, then cut with an angle grinder. It helps that the gas tank is out due to it being replaced at this time.
garageandrust005-1.pnggarageandrust006-1.png
My template I made from hammering cardboard over the hole and trimming to fit.
garageandrust007.png
I have left my sheet steel at work. So progress stops at this time. I will be using POR15 to coat the frame. Any suggestions on how to clean and coat the inside of a boxed frame would be appreciated. I plan on using a garden sprayer to clean with POR15's prep chemicals. Also using sprayer inside frame rails with a wide pattern spray nozzle to get coating on inside. Any better ideas would help.

That sure is a funny place to have that much rot, isn't it? Was there a bracket or something welded there before? A hole or something that could have factored into the equation?

As for prepping, I'm a big fan of phosphoric acid. The resultant iron phosphate that is left over after the application makes a great primer and rust preventive, but you do need to apply paint or a covering soon after using the acid.

It is actually rotted in the same exact spot on the other frame rail. The PO welded a piece of angle over it. Now I have to cut off his crappy welds and repair that side too.:mad: Not too mad though, I get to make sparkles, I love sparkles!:D The rest of the frame is in pretty good shape though, alot of surface rust. I am going to get some phospheric acid and try that. I will post pics as I go. Thanks CJ!

No problem. Any paint shop will have it, it's a greenish colored liquid and you can usually apply it with a spray bottle. That's why I thought it would be great to spay down into the frame. Just make sure you rinse the heck out of it. BTW - Naval Jelly is also a phosphoric acid, just in paste form...

Oh yea, a welder is my http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f73/favorite-tool-130/ !!

I am at about the same stage as you with my restore. I am going to use "Zero Rust" instead of POR since it is a little cheaper and we use POR at work and I think it could work better for the price. I will try the hammer trick once my tank is out:chug:. Good luck and have lots of fun.

The Official Zero Rust Web Site

I had the same problem but it was where the rear spring bolts up!
i pushed through with a screw driver

its almost fixed i ended up boxing it and smoothing it out
I need to get some more welding rod (wish i had a tig)

Let us know how it turns out!

Patch panel welded in place. Didn't grind welds much because it is covered by tank and I was more concerned with strength.
cj778008.png
Coated it with a generic rust primer. My por15 came in today. Ordered directly from the company at 12:30 am monday morning. UPS dropped off tuesday afternoon. I compared the zero rust and por15. The coverage for a quart of zero rust was way less than the por15. Would cost about the same to do the frame according to the coverage specs. I know por15, so I stuck with them. Hopefully tonight I can start de-scaling the rust and get going on cleaning and coating soon.

Looks good. I'm really interested in your application photos and instructions for the POR-15. I have never used it and might want to use it on my CJ. I'm torn between this and just doing the complete frame, diffs and trans in truck bed lining.

I used POR15 on a 57 belair and loved it. It is more expensive than alternatives but it does an inncredible job at filling in those tiny surface divots left by rust. I sandblasted what I didn't have acid-dipped and then used the POR15 and after all that, sold the car. Still miss it, but the paint job turned out great. I'll be using POR15 on my CJ.

Hey boss..I have a buddy in NC that went nuts and spray lined everything on his 7. The frame, the axles, the under body. EVERYTHING. Man is he sorry he did that! Now It comes back to haunt him every time he has to make a repair or wants to add something or weld up a mod. Scraping and grinding and cursing, and everywhere he did work looks like :dung: now.:censored: And I being the SOB I am, just use it to irritate the bejesus out of him over it. Just thought I'd toss that out there for ya.:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom