Rear axle advice

Rear axle advice

Scout1067

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7, 258, T176, D300, D30 front diff, AMC 20 rear diff, Weber Carburetor, BDS 2.5" lift
I am fixing to pull the trigger on new one piece rear axles for my AMC20. Igot the wife to agree to it.

What do I need to measure to ensure I order the correct axles? I am looking at going with the Moser CJ-S one piece kit because I think that is the one I need.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

With Moser axles all you have the information you really need, is whether it's wide trac or narrow trac. The instructions should have all the information you need.

Unless your axle had been swapped, 81 would be narrow track. Can't go wrong with Moser axles.

I think it still has the stock axle. I talked to the guy that had it before me and he bought it used in 86, as far as he knows it's still original. I think I am going to order the Moser's today.

I maybe wrong but i do believe TracLok axles are different(shorter). Easy to tell if you have a TracLok rear, On the flat spot to the left of the Diff cover there will be a letter/letters stamped in it. Like A or AA, a double letter would be a TracLok rear... I used Ten Factory axles and I'm pretty sure when i did mine, in the directions it said, These will not work with a TracLok diff and you had to special order those axles...

FWIW, I have an AMC20 and went to a fresh TracLoc and did not need to change axles.

Measure WMS to WMS and you'll know if you have a narrow or wide track. Pretty sure 81 was split wasn't it?

I ordered the Moser's yesterday so I will know in a few weeks if they right or not. Takes about two weeks for parts from the States to get to APO addresses here in Germany.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks