TCase Rattling Dust Cover on D300 Yoke

Transfer case
TCase Rattling Dust Cover on D300 Yoke

TSB8C

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7, 420 HP "ZZ6 EFI" Crate engine, 700R4, D300, Dana30 front, Dana489 rear, 4.56 gears, 4" lift
Anyone else have an issue with the dust cover on the output yoke of your D300 coming loose and rattling? On my rear output, the dust cover "cup" on the yoke no longer remains tight on the yoke and was just rattling around. This thing just slips tightly around the neck of the yoke. There are no screws, threads, or other attachment mechanism(s). Mine loosened up enough to slip and rattle around. I had this issue before when I rebuilt the unit (about 4 years ago). At that time I "crimped" the dust cover where it slips onto the yoke to tighten it up and re-used the cover. Now that it slipped again, I felt a more permanent solution was in order.

It's a cold rainy day here today, so was a good time for an in-the-shop little project just to say I did something to the CJ today. So I fired up the TIG and made two tacks on opposite sides on the yoke and dust cover (on the back side without even removing the yoke). Couple of quick tacks, so no issue with too much heat to damage the seal or anything. So now it is solidly attached, but still removable if I ever had to in the future with a small amount of cutting/grinding to remove the two tack welds. Of course if the yoke ever needed replacing for some reason in the future, I would just get a new dust cover with it anyway.

Dust_Cover.jpg

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Good fix and I have done the same as well. If anyone wants to do this and doesn't have a TIG a MIG is ok. I always have a spray bottle handy to cool right after the tack.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom