Body Radiator replacement

Body Radiator replacement

Scout1067

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7, 258, T176, D300, D30 front diff, AMC 20 rear diff, Weber Carburetor, BDS 2.5" lift
I am going to be replacing my radiator, water pump, etc. in the next week or so. Does anybody have any tips on things or pitfalls to be aware of as I go to removing the fenders to get at it to replace it? I am sure there are some.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Solution
I have never removed the fenders or grill to replace a CJ radiator. I do loosen the bolts that attached the grill to the fenders and of course remove the grill support rods at the front so that I have a bit of play in moving the grill somewhat. But that all depends on your engine as well. With a larger V8 swap that is perhaps further forward than an original engine, that clearance could be a challenge. I also have a 4-core aluminum radiator that is thicker than stock, further limiting clearance. But even with those two factors, never needed to remove the grill or fenders.

A potential "gotcha" is if you have power steering, the radiator may be resting on, or at least making contact with, one of the power steering hoses on top of the...
I left my fenders on and just removed the grill for better access. But it can all be done without removing the grill either.

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

I have never removed the fenders or grill to replace a CJ radiator. I do loosen the bolts that attached the grill to the fenders and of course remove the grill support rods at the front so that I have a bit of play in moving the grill somewhat. But that all depends on your engine as well. With a larger V8 swap that is perhaps further forward than an original engine, that clearance could be a challenge. I also have a 4-core aluminum radiator that is thicker than stock, further limiting clearance. But even with those two factors, never needed to remove the grill or fenders.

A potential "gotcha" is if you have power steering, the radiator may be resting on, or at least making contact with, one of the power steering hoses on top of the gearbox. Watch for that.

When draining the current one, prop up the rear of the vehicle to ensure all coolant drains from the engine as well as the rad. Then when filling the new one, prop the front end up a bit to ensure coolant fills completely to the back of the engine and prevent any air pockets from remaining.

I also found that I was having a common issue of the lower rad hose collapsing at high RPMs with my higher volume water pump on the SBC engine. So while I had stuff apart, I installed a coil in the lower hose to prevent this.

Solution
So I don't have to pull the grill and fenders to replace the radiator? Everything I have read says I need to. I was going to use the opportunity to clean up the grill and get it blasted and coated.

So I don't have to pull the grill and fenders to replace the radiator? Everything I have read says I need to. I was going to use the opportunity to clean up the grill and get it blasted and coated.

It can be done without. However it's only a handful of bolts to remove it and it will make the job easy and stress free. Even more so if you plan to do work on the grill at the same time

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom