Engine quick help needed please

Engine quick help needed please

Manic Mechanic

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 4.2L 258 .040 over, T-5 trans, dana 300, dana 30 front 3.23 and lock right locker, rear amc 20 3.23 one piece axle shafts traclock

79 CJ7 304, th400 auto borgwarner 1389?? qudratrac stock rest unknown.

89 YJ 4.2L 258, AX-15 5spd, NP231, dana 30 front, dana 35 rear with posi, gears unknown

92 YJ 4.0, AX-15 5spd, np231, dana 30 front, dana 35 rear.
im rebuilding my 258. long story short my new block is a 75-79 my old one and head is 81-85 i know the bolts on the new block are 1/2" where the old one is 7/16". is there any other differences i need to know before i call my machine shop and just have them drill out the head to accept the larger bolts. or will there be interference issues and or running problems by using a newer new head on an older block. has anyone else had this problem. i assume that all 4.2 are basically the same minus emissions-related equipment. even more so since i see numerous post talking about putting 4.0 heads on a 4.2 so it cant be that drastically different unless im completely mistaken.

thanks in advance for the help and replys

Man - Can’t help. Have zero experience swapping 4.2 heads around. I’m sure someone will chime in shortly with something useful....... Unlike me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

while i appreciate those links they are about swapping a 4.0 head onto a 4.2.

im not doing the 4.0 swap im merely taking the head off my 85 4.2 which uses a 7/16 head bolt and putting it on a older 4.2 block that has 1/2 head bolts. i just told the machine shop to drill em out and use the larger bolts

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

im not doing the 4.0 swap im merely taking the head off my 85 4.2 which uses a 7/16 head bolt and putting it on a older 4.2 block that has 1/2 head bolts. i just told the machine shop to drill em out and use the larger bolts

Oops, my bad - need to better proof / reading. I misunderstood.

Glad you came up with a solution.

Just hope it's the right one

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

That is what i did. Been running fine ever since

That is what i did. Been running fine ever since
Ty. I assume there's no difference I just wanted to make sure

I assume they are correct they ordered all new parts and I'm having them do the final assembly

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks