Quality Restoration

Quality Restoration

DosCaras

Jeeper
Thanks
Is it a good idea to purchase a restored CJ Jeep? If so, how do you know the restoration process was properly employed? What are the signs to look for to tell if a restoration was a quality one?

I would go for the restored CJ. If you know the ideal restoration procedure, it is a good idea to check with the company/person that restored it and compare with the ideal procedure. Also, a restored CJ would come cheaper..I guess.

'Restored' seems to get tossed around alot. I've seen many claimed restorations that were little more than a new paint job. Ideally a quality restoration will bring the vehicle back to the same condition it was when it left the showroom floor. This will generally mean a complete rebuild from the tires up. Expensive process and usually reserved for vehicles that can generate a sizeable return on the money spent
Anyway...it's pretty easy to tell how good a job was done just by doing a casual inspection. Look for areas difficult to clean or repaint...this will expose how much effort was put into the project. Dirt and grit in places like the top of the trannie or transfer case, behind the exhaust manifolds, etc will give a good idea of how deeply involved the process was. Aftermarket goodies are a sure sign that the restoration is really in name only. Doesn't mean it's not worth buying but it's certainly not worth paying extra for simply because someone claims the vehicle has been restored.

I am doing a frame up restore on a CJ8,
look at brake lines, inside the frame holes (see if they are full of rust)
look for any rust, look for tub work up underneth,

upgraded brakes?
motor work?
paint?
tranny work?

ask what all has been worked on ,maybe even see of they have recipts for the build

Good Luck

As long as you make sure you get what you are paying for then there can be no complaining done!

Check the credability and portfolio history (if applicable) of the person/persons who restored it, and do not go forward with the deal if you have any doubts!

You could always come back here and post info about the potential buy, for us to give our oppinion...

Hope this helps.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom