Quality flare tool?

derf

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 - 5.3/4L60E/Atlas4spd/D44/9" - In Progress
1984 GW - 360/TF727/NP229/D44/M23 - NP242 swap in progress
1986 J10 - 360/TF727/NP208/D44/D60 - 700R4 upgrade in the works
So I got my 25 feet of brake line tubing so I can start setting up the brakes on my CJ. I'm practicing making some double flares and I'm really not happy with the tool I have. It's just a hair too small to fit the tubing right and it's not making good flares.

Can anyone recommend a good flare tool? I don't mind spending money on a really good tool when it concerns my brakes (and therefore my ability to stop when I really need to).

So I got my 25 feet of brake line tubing so I can start setting up the brakes on my CJ. I'm practicing making some double flares and I'm really not happy with the tool I have. It's just a hair too small to fit the tubing right and it's not making good flares.

Can anyone recommend a good flare tool? I don't mind spending money on a really good tool when it concerns my brakes (and therefore my ability to stop when I really need to).

check snap on?

Ridgid makes a nice flair tool, I have one but never used it to make double flair, litt. says it does though.

After a bit of searching, it seems that everyone likes Ridgid so I ordered their flaring tool with the tubing cutter that has the integrated reamer. It's a little spendy but why not get the tools to do the job the right way?

I got mine from Napa, American made

KD tool makes a good one was great for break lines.
KD is the best flare tool for the money. They supply most of the professional tool industry.

KD is the best flare tool for the money. They supply most of the professional tool industry.
It was the only one i found that would hold the brake line tight while flaring.The rest of them would let the line slip and they also offer a double flare attachment.I'm sure there's better but this was best one for the buck.Also as you say they make good hard to find tools

So I got home today to find a box on my doorstep. The Ridgid 345 DL with the 150 tubing cutter in one plastic case was inside.

My cheap camera can't take a decent picture up close but on the first flare, I was able to get it to give me a nice perfectly round flare with no imperfections. The nut seats perfectly with a good even line all the way around.

Having the right tool makes life so much easier.

You wanna make me up some brake lines now? Just for practice, of course! :)

You wanna make me up some brake lines now? Just for practice, of course! :)

I'm going to make them up for real once I get the frame finished this weekend. :chug:

Where did you get your ridgid 345 from?

Thanks
Terry

So I got home today to find a box on my doorstep. The Ridgid 345 DL with the 150 tubing cutter in one plastic case was inside.

My cheap camera can't take a decent picture up close but on the first flare, I was able to get it to give me a nice perfectly round flare with no imperfections. The nut seats perfectly with a good even line all the way around.

Having the right tool makes life so much easier.

So how about an update on how you like this tool? I am going to have to break down and get one myself, so I'm looking around...

So how about an update on how you like this tool? I am going to have to break down and get one myself, so I'm looking around...

The practice flares I made were really good. But I haven't plumbed the Jeep yet. I didn't want to run lines until I had my crossmember and skid plate set up. No sense running lines until I knew what was going to be in the way.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom