Pros Cons Lift Kit Thread - Personal Exp / Reviews

Pros Cons Lift Kit Thread - Personal Exp / Reviews

JR74CJ5

Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ 4" Lift Spring Conversion
Hey Guys,

So I've been searching and doing a lot of reading on lift kits, and haven't found all in one place a Pros and cons by actual Jeepers on each different manufacturer / kit.

So unless someone knows of one and can point me in the right direction, was hoping over time everyone can post in their particular experience with their lift kit(s) and what they did like and didn't like about them.

For example, a lot of people say rough country lives up to it's name and is a rough / stiff ride...

Me: 1974 CJ5 Stock height springs, looking for a good 2-1/2" spring lift. Would like a kit with shocks and all necessary hardware.

Been looking at Pro Comp: Lift Kit, 2.5" Suspension System Pro Comp PCK3069K

Hope to hear from all you fellow Jeepers :cool:

:chug:

~ JR

Well personally I think your on the right track only going 2.5" on your 5. Soo many other issues come up going beyond that but hey everyones in this for different reasons.
If I were in your shoes I would look at OME first off as I've never read/heard a bad thing about what they put out....the others not so.
Rubicon used to have a 2.5" kit but I think it's no more?

Do they make oem lift springs? I didnt know they did... :rolleyes:

Yes 2-1/2 with a little trimming should be perfect for my 33's and how i want to wheel...

But this thread is open to any and all size / shape /type lift reviews... That way hopefully it will be of help to all who would use it... :cool:

JR. not sure if ome makes a kit for your year but heres a link Old Man Emu - 1976-1986 Jeep CJ Suspension - Quadratec
I've also never heard anything bad about them except maybe the price.
Alcan spring also has a very good rep. but you have to custom order and you also pay the price there.
I have a 4" super lift kit that I've been happy with. It was stiff when new but after a few wheeling trips it softened up and the springs have held there arch well over time. All in all I've been happy with them for the money spent.

I'm running OME YJ 2-1/2" springs. Good springs.

I ran Trailmaster 4" and cracked the frame at 3 of the spring mounts. Rode like a tank. I found out when I sold them that they had a spring rate of 550#/inch. Stock is in the range of 200-250#/inch.

Amount of lift all depends on how much tire clearance you need.

Consider 2-1/2" spring lift and a small body lift if you need to go higher.

I have SkyJacker SoftRide 4" lift springs on mine. Holding the arch good, ride is very comfortable, biggest problem is with my worn shocks they ride TOO soft! Has a lot of body lean that I hope will gt corrected when I throw a new swaybar on this winter.
I'm happy with them.

Rough country 4" is what I have and it rides a little rough but for the price you get a complete set with every thing you need to. Drop pitman arm, swaybar links, shocks, all new ubolts and nuts, bushings. The only thing extra I bought was the brake line extentions and some heavy duty shackles. I've only had this on for about 8 months so not sure how the springs will hold up. Or if they will sofen up with time.

JR. not sure if ome makes a kit for your year but heres a link Old Man Emu - 1976-1986 Jeep CJ Suspension - Quadratec
I've also never heard anything bad about them except maybe the price.
Alcan spring also has a very good rep. but you have to custom order and you also pay the price there.

Would the 76 Kit work for those of us with early 70's CJ's? Was there a difference in the frame dimensions etc between 75 & 76?

I'm running OME YJ 2-1/2" springs. Good springs.

Thanks 73.. Good info there! do you by chance have a link to a write up on your YJ spring conversion? Maybe the lift kit you used (like what year YJ etc?)

I know they are wider than standard CJ springs, are there any drawbacks like restricted flexing etc while off road?

____

Thanks Guys this thread is turning into a good info pool! :notworthy:

Would the 76 Kit work for those of us with early 70's CJ's? Was there a difference in the frame dimensions etc between 75 & 76?

Thanks 73.. Good info there! do you by chance have a link to a write up on your YJ spring conversion? Maybe the lift kit you used (like what year YJ etc?)

I know they are wider than standard CJ springs, are there any drawbacks like restricted flexing etc while off road?

After a little research, I am able to answer most of my follow up questions for you guys...

CJ to YJ spring conversion kit for 1955-1975 Jeeps

There's a link to 55-75 CJ's kits... I'm going back to do some more reading :drool:

Update, sent them an e-mail with a few choice questions. Will post their replies when I get them.

Please everyone, keep posting those experience stories, and pros and cons of any and all suspension lift kits.
:chug:

Last edited:
Just installed a Rough Country 2.5" on a 82 CJ7 and the ride is very stiff, almost too stiff. I don't want to jump the gun so soon with changing anything over since this was just done a couple of weeks ago, but I am hoping that the suspension softens up a bit. How long does it take for a suspension to get broken in? Will Rough Country kits ever ride nice and flex well? Or should I be thinking of doing something different?

I'm running a Rubicon Express Extreme 4 1/2" lift. The kit comes with 2 1/2' wide YJ springs. They also make the kit in a 2 1/2' lift. Kit comes complete with everything you need. Rides rough at first but after a couple of off road trips it softened up. I think it is a good kit for the money.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks