proper area to jack up CJ

proper area to jack up CJ

1984 CJ7

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7, 258 (rebuilt), 5 speed (rebuilt), softtop, Goodyear DuraTrac's
I have a standard floor jack, 3 ton, and need to change out my bushing in the tie rods and leaf springs. I need to remove the wheels but I am not sure I have enough throw on my jack. Where is the best place to place the jack on the CJ? How do most remove the wheels with 31's and no lift?

i put bushings in my dads front leafs (79 CJ5 with 31's) i used my big floor jack right in the middle of the front by the steering box. i used a 4x4 block of wood to gain 4 in. be careful :)

how did you get it high enoughy to get the wheels off and on a frame stand?

I use a floor jack under the axle to get it high enough to get a jackstand under the frame, than let the axle back down if needed.

Ok, so it is ok to jack it up on the axle?? where is the bast place?

I go under the spring perch in front and under the diff. in the rear.

Last edited:
I have a standard floor jack, 3 ton

Easiest way goes like this. Adjust lift points, jackstand positions as needed.

Lift by the front axle. Remove (loosen lugs first) front wheels. lower down, rotors on scrap wood. remove shocks. Lift by the center radiator support. Wheels 4 inches off the ground, use jackstands on rad support. disconnect driveshaft from front axle.

Now you have room to drop the springs, and access the bushings.

You may also need to remove your Calipers to avoid brake hose damage and clearance problems. Careful, the cylinder boot is probably brittle.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks