Prestolite distributor swap question

Prestolite distributor swap question

JohnEJo

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 Jeep CJ7, 304, Quadra Trac
Hi, guys. I know there is a lot on the subject of swapping out the Prestolite distributors already in the Google cyber space, but all I’m finding is about ten years old, or more, so bear with me on this.

I have a ‘76 CJ7 with a 304 and Quadra Trac, and yes with a Prestolite distributor. I’ve read the debates over HEI and DuraSpark’s, but I really would like to go with the DuraSpark distributors.

My question is if there is any updated and more recent information on what junkyard distributors I could use that will work/fit on this AMC 304 (V8) engine? The old posts I’ve found on the subject rarely gave this information unless it was for a V6 or I6, and the one or two I found that did give the information for a V8 were listing vehicles that are becoming pretty hard to find at junkyard these days. Does anyone have any updated information regarding what distributors I can still find that will work?

Oh, one more thing. I did read somewhere that all Jeep’s ‘78-‘90 would work if they had vacuum advance, but they didn’t clarify if it had to be a V8, or if any Jeep with a 4, 6, or an 8 cylinder that had vacuum advance would work. Would anyone know the answer to that?

Thank you! 😊

It has to be a V8 and TBH just buy something new don't waste time with a junkyard distributor

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

They don't typically go bad but if you're concerned get that new as well. Electrical parts don't fare well in junkyards

IMO, unless you need to build a restored CJ, why buy 40 year old used technology?
Any new HEI type distributor is years ahead in tech. and simplicity.
There are many cheap knockoffs as well as the major brand. The brand that is most often referenced is assembled in the US and has an excellent reputation.
By going to an HEI type you no longer need any additional modules.
You will need new wires though.
Just be sure that if you do change distributors you use the correct dist. gear. Some cheap units come with an incorrect hardness gear. When in doubt, use your old gear.

I run hei on all my Jeeps but he stated he wanted the old style

Okay. Thank you. What about the ignition module? Would a junkyard duraspark module be okay, even with a new distributor?
Duraspark is a name brand dist. type. They do not make a module for a Prestolite dist.

Okay. I will have to rewire the whole vehicle since one of the previous owners really butchered the wiring all up really bad, and there are a lot of extra wires going here and there on it and wanting to simplify it as much as possible while upgrading it at the same time. I even plan on putting in a more powerful alternator in it, too.

Thanks again for the info. 😊

To use an HEI type dist. it only requires one power wire. All your old module wiring can be left, including the module. If you have a tach. you will need to move the wire from the coil to the HEI.
Other than that, nothing else needs to be removed or changed to operate. It would look cleaner though... :)

Good move

What brands are good for a new distributor that will fit the 304, and/or which brands should I stay clear of? Not sure which ones are foreign made versus quality American made. Summit, Jegs, etc?

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
D.U.I. is made in Memphis Tennessee but you will also pay the price for them.
Ditto on the US assembled / made DUI but they are not cheap. If you need to save $$ I would buy from a most other name brands. They are all imports and are comparable quality. Just be very careful that your dist. gear is the correct hardness. There was a big problem with incorrect dist. gears eating camshaft gears but it is now rare as most imports now have the correct gear. If in doubt just use your old one.

Does this look like a good distributor to get? I’m guessing I’ll probably need to swap out the gear with what’s on my current distributor.

LaMulaAuto HEI Distributor for SBC/BBC CHEVY AMC/JEEP V8 290 304 343 360 390 401, 65k Volt Coil for 7500 RPM, One-Wire Installation https://a.co/d/0dnusP2

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks