Power steering shaft coupler

Ok, I got how to put it together. Bearings look excellent. Spring looks a little bent. I understand now but for giggles I put the spring in the coupler first, then I tried putting the shaft and bearings into the coupler and it went in all the way. The spring should be stopping it correct? I can't see how the spring keeps the shaft from backing out. Maybe my spring is too bent?...Any other thoughts?...

Now I really understand. Spring goes over boot. Now I have a bigger problem. The jeep has a body lift from the previous owner. The bearings were putting a lot of pressure on the spring plus the upper shaft coupler was just catching on the splines. So to lengthen the shaft can I pull the plastic rivets and pull the shaft out about half way from the other. Weld it to the length or let the shafts slide into each other? This would solve my problem I think but is this dangerous? Ideally where should the bearings be in the coupler be when the steering shaft is fully collapsed ? A little off the bottom of the coupler. Any thoughts are appreciated. If need be I can start another thread...

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks