power steering pump bracket with 4.0 head swap

power steering pump bracket with 4.0 head swap

jmbridges

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 cj7, amc 258, t176, Dana 30
Hi all, still in the middle of my 81 CJ7 rebuild, currently reassembling the engine with a 4.0 head swap. Has gone relatively smoothly, with some assistance, but wanted to get some thoughts on the power steering pump bracket. I knew there was going to be some modification required - too short now and won't clear the 4.0 exhaust - but I have seen very little specific info on how to modify. I installed a banks exhaust header, rather than stock exhaust manifold, and i think the front tube juts out farther than usual. Pic attached (sorry is oriented weird, couldn't get it to rotate). Anyway, would be interested in hearing from those who have done the swap what they did, and seeing some pics if available. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 137
I cut/notched mine as needed with a sawzall and cleaned it up with an angle grinder.

My bracket cleared the stock 4.0 manifold with room to spare, so can't help with that part.

To add height to the bracket, since the 4.0 head is taller, I bolted up the bracket and then bolted a 1/2" (IIRC) to the intake, marked them, cut some off of both where they overlapped, then welded the washer to the bracket. I did tack them together when i did the last test fit.

The lower intake bolt hole was moved and isn't a "complete" hole, but a washer with the bolt keeps it in place no problems.

Attachments

• IMG_3010.jpg
    IMG_3010.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3012.jpg
    IMG_3012.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 133
My bracket cleared the stock 4.0 manifold with room to spare, so can't help with that part.

To add height to the bracket, since the 4.0 head is taller, I bolted up the bracket and then bolted a 1/2" (IIRC) to the intake, marked them, cut some off of both where they overlapped, then welded the washer to the bracket. I did tack them together when i did the last test fit.

The lower intake bolt hole was moved and isn't a "complete" hole, but a washer with the bolt keeps it in place no problems.
Nice looking engine! I am new on here and doing the head swap on my 1980 CJ7. Can i ask what header your using?

I used a OEM factory header from a mid 90's Cherokee.

You'll like it, noticeable difference!

You'll like it, noticeable difference!
I have the 4.0 head casting 7120 rebuilt and ready. I just seen that my 1980 stock intake has the thick flange where the washers mount with the header. I need to find something newer or brake the bank with a clifford. I have a weber 38/38 so need the clifford adaptor also. Quite a project just getting everything together. I hope my rocker arms and assembly will work from the 4.2 along with my 4.2 pushrods. I have heard some say yes it will work and some say no.

My push rods and rockers worked fine. I'm running MPI, so the intake/exhaust were a non issue ;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom