Brakes Power Brake Vacuum Line?

Brakes Power Brake Vacuum Line?

Genaz

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7. 258cu 6cyl. T5 tranny/Dana 300 transfer case (both from '82 Scramber)
Hi, I'm almost finished with the power brakes upgrade on my 79 CJ7. But I still am hung up on where to get a vacuum line hook-up for the power booster. It's a 258cu 6cyl with a 1 barrel carb (picture attached). Can I "T" off of the PCV line, or will that rob too much vacuum? Any suggestions on any other options?

Sorry under the hood looks so crummy, it's a work in progress and just getting under the hood. Other picture is from last summer.79 Jeep.jpg258cid.jpg

Did your post here not work?

I'm running an EFI but I have my booster vacuum tied in right above where my EGR used to be. I think you have the same port but it's tied back into your carb.223ed1d8ffdc05aefcf8c84b2d33dcb1.jpg

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

I'm running an EFI but I have my booster vacuum tied in right above where my EGR used to be. I think you have the same port but it's tied back into your carb.223ed1d8ffdc05aefcf8c84b2d33dcb1.jpg

Thanks very much for the feedback. This looks very similar. I don't think my EGR is hooked up to anything, so I can probably pull it, unless I'm missing something. Then I could use that port, correct?

Yup. I've circled the port I used and this is the EGR block off plate I used (just Google there's lots of them) and if you want to get real fancy... Sniper EFI to replace the Carter bbd I'm running the 2300 sniper as I already changed mine over previously to an MC 2100 so that was a direct swap.eb1819511325d6366b391057492250fc.jpgcaef8752a55dd7370c5cb2e60ebcfd34.jpg

cf8637f16a7bba20afcabdfe849ae8d5.png

Last edited:
Yup. I've circled the port I used and this is the EGR block off plate I used (just Google there's lots of them) and if you want to get real fancy... Sniper EFI to replace the Carter bbd I'm running the 2300 sniper as I already changed mine over previously to an MC 2100 so that was a direct swap.eb1819511325d6366b391057492250fc.jpgcaef8752a55dd7370c5cb2e60ebcfd34.jpg

cf8637f16a7bba20afcabdfe849ae8d5.png
Oh man, this is great info! Thanks very much. I think I can tie this job up in a day or two now. I'm also going to look into upgrading fuel system at some point. Was that an easy swap? Or should I start with a MC 2100 first. I don't want to have to fabricate any brackets or extra parts, as I've seen guys had to do on a few videos

2100 is a fairly simple swap. However the one I posted about should be a direct drop in

Yeah, I Googled and also tried the website on the picture you sent me. That one just redirects me to ebay but the page is no longer active. I saw the one you sent me (thanks!) but didn't really want to spend that much on a cover plate. So, I'll make something if I have to. Thanks again for the help!

Yeah, I Googled and also tried the website on the picture you sent me. That one just redirects me to ebay but the page is no longer active. I saw the one you sent me (thanks!) but didn't really want to spend that much on a cover plate. So, I'll make something if I have to. Thanks again for the help!
YW I bought mine almost 20 years ago I want to say it was 15-20 bucks but I guess inflation.

Hi, I finally got back to this power brake project. I made my own EGR cover plate and pulled that connector you circled and got a connector that will hook a 3/8" hose to the power booster. But what about the vacuum port on the bottom of the carburetor that it was hooked to in the picture. Can I just block that off?

Hi, I finally got back to this power brake project. I made my own EGR cover plate and pulled that connector you circled and got a connector that will hook a 3/8" hose to the power booster. But what about the vacuum port on the bottom of the carburetor that it was hooked to in the picture. Can I just block that off?
If it is unused it should be capped.

Thanks everyone for the help. Power brakes are installed on the CJ and it stops on a dime.
Any recommendations on an air cleaner? The old one won't fit now with the power booster and new master cylinder in the way.

Just about any small aftermarket air cleaner will work. Our member @hole just put a TJ factory system on his CJ. How about this?

K&N makes a great reusable filter.

Share with us your accomplishment by posting photos please.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Yeah, I see a lot of small air cleaner options. I was wondering about the PCV valve and the breather element. No where to hook those up that I see on any of these. Can they just be capped off, or hooked somewhere else?

The PCV valve should be hooked up to intake manifold vacuum to draw vapors from the engine back into the intake manifold to be burned, it should not be capped. Does your current valve have two ports or one? The factory system is shown below.
With a functioning PCV system the breather can have its own filter. The only reason it was hooked to the air cleaner was to filter the incoming air for contaminants.

62-1000.jpg

CJ_Vacuum_Line_Diagram.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks