popping sounds scare the hell out of me

popping sounds scare the hell out of me

darnkid

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82cj7
I just put in a new steering box (w/power steering) and now whenever I turn left, it sounds like my front pass. wheel is popping. The pop sounds like something was seized and it's breaking free except more than once. It happens when I'm moving and when I'm not. I have absolutely NO idea what it could be. Any help would be much appreciated.

Check all your drag link and tie rod ends for loosness. Jack up each front tire one at a time to see if you have play in bearings or ball joints. Grab tire at top and bottom, see if it moves up and down, in and out. If there is movement you will need someone to watch to see were it moves.

We found the spring eye bushings were the culprit on Uncles CJ. But seeing as you say just changes steering box I'd try Purple's suggestions first, either way it would tell you whats moving.

Keep eye out on the shaft coupler too...

:chug:
~ JR

Ok I'll check all that when I get a chance. it's actually when I turn right, but I'm sure it doesn't matter.

I'd check the axle u-joints while I was checking things.

that would be a very good thing to check especially since she's liking to go left or right when accelerating or decelerating.

Check to make sure your lug nuts are all tight too. Loosening up ones can cause a popping while turning

Drag link and tie rod are tight, lug nuts needed to be tightened a bit, haven't gotten to anything else yet. I'll let you know if tightening the lugs fixed it soon

that would be a very good thing to check especially since she's liking to go left or right when accelerating or decelerating.

Spring eye bushings and spring u bolts loose / centering bolts loose will cause this jump left or right when let off gas / get on gas while in motion.

Check the rear ones too, as they'll cause this as well.

:chug:

it's not the bushings, the PO changed them with nice red poly ones right before I bought it and I checked them before I drove it for the first time. I just need to get to a wrench big enough to be able to crank on the U bolts now. (just got to college, and I can't afford tools) I'll jack up the jeep and check wheel bearings and ball joints tomorrow maybe. Depends if I'll have time. Thanks guys for all the help so far

has annyone thought to check the tightness of the bearings?

Ironically I got home from work the other day hearing similar sounds to what you described jacked up jeep and found massive play in both front wheels looks like my Saturday afternoon is now replacing both wheelbearings

Ironically I got home from work the other day hearing similar sounds to what you described jacked up jeep and found massive play in both front wheels looks like my Saturday afternoon is now replacing both wheelbearings

absolutely can confirm in my case the sounds very similar to what you described were wheel bearings

i have popping sound in mine to. everything is brand new. i had a friend come over and crank the wheel for me. come to find out for some reason my right front leaf spring is spreading apart when you turn. i have no clue how to fix this and im mad cause their newer springs.

i have popping sound in mine to. everything is brand new. i had a friend come over and crank the wheel for me. come to find out for some reason my right front leaf spring is spreading apart when you turn. i have no clue how to fix this and im mad cause their newer springs.

If the sprngs themselfs are shifting side to side within the pack, you need new clips and to check the tightness of the u bolts and spring plate. If they r loose too long youll sheer the centering bolt and theyll start shifting forward and backwards...

My front wheel bearings are perfect, just a tiny bit of play, not too loose not too tight. I haven't checked my back ones yet. I wish I had a garage so I could work in the dark a little. Or money for a proper jack haha

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me.If it is you need to fix it ASAP

My front wheel bearings are perfect, just a tiny bit of play, not too loose not too tight. I haven't checked my back ones yet. I wish I had a garage so I could work in the dark a little. Or money for a proper jack haha

Perfect? there should be no play at all, certainly none you can detect by hand.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks