popping out of 2nd and 3rd gears

popping out of 2nd and 3rd gears

harrybar

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5 304 T150 D20
It appears both my 2nd and 3rd gear synchronizer rings are are bad.
When I try to shift into either gear at idle, the gears chatter and do not fully engage, and as I increase the engine speed they pop out. I took the top of the transmission off and was able to slide the synchronizer sleeve into third gear, but not 2nd gear.
With the synchronizer sleeve in third gear, I put the transfer case into neutral and started the engine with the clutch pedal depressed. I slowly let the clutch pedal out until the mainshaft started to spin. It did not pop out. I then depressed the clutch and increased the engine speed until the mainshaft started to spin fast. It was at 1700 rpm. Is this a normal amount of clutch drag? I am concerned if this is excessive drag, it may have damaged the synchronizers.
1st gear and reverse shift fine and do not pop out.
I would appreciate opinions and recommendations on what I should do next.

Is this a normal amount of clutch drag? I am concerned if this is excessive drag, it may have damaged the synchronizers.
1st gear and reverse shift fine and do not pop out.
What I believe you are seeing is the input shaft being turned by friction from contact with the pilot bearing/bushing. Even though the pressure plate is not in contact with the disk, the clutch disk is attached to the input shaft splines and now acting like a flywheel. Since there is no resistance 'out the back' there is nothing to override the motion created by the crankshaft/pilot bearing spinning on the input shaft. Just my WAG....

I would appreciate opinions and recommendations on what I should do next.

Pull the transmission and get it rebuilt.

BTW: :ww: to the forum!

WELCOME!
The syncro does not hold you in gear. The drive gear does.
How much clutch pedal freeplay do you have?
When was the last time you CK'd the tranny and t'case oil level?
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks