PO did What?

PO did What?

mhubacek

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
WR450F, 68' CJ-5, 72' CJ-5, F250 POWERSTROKE
Here's a thread to vent on all the crazy, jerry-rigged stuff you've had to fix by the PO! I know everyone here has seen some crazy things when tearing down your cj. I've read many posts here on some ridiculous temporary repairs done by the PO! I'll start with mine. Welding square tubing between spring hangars and frame to provide lift. Covering floor board cancer with plasic pieces riveted in and rhino lined over. Every type of bolt you could possibly imagine. It's annoying to have to go to your tool box after each bolt to find the right socket. How hard is it to buy the same bolt/screw? How about pulling tons of wire that go absolutely nowhere? I know a thread like this will help many looking for a cj to buy right now, buyers beware. And those of you who have already purchased, vent away!:D:barf:

There was another one of these on one of the other forums that I remember reading... it provides hours of smirks and laughs as everyone has a story. The best one I can remember was the 4 different rims with 4 different tires and all different combos of bots/nuts holding them on... just to get it onto standard bolts/nuts and 4 of the same tires/rims was much improved said that owner... I thoguht it was humerous.

As for my PO stuff, I have a ton, but basically it is not fixing it right, but trying to patch and ending up ruining what you were intending to do in the first place only to have someone like me come along and have to rip it all out and do it right!

cb

That reminds me of my 68'. I had two different sets of backspacing on the rims, and it had two 31X10.50's and two 30X9.50's. One wheel had Left Hand thread lug nuts. I think I almost stripped them out before realizing they were only getting tighter!

Some of my favorites over the years.

2X4 blocks painted black for body mounts.

Lamp cord wiring system with scotch tape insulation.

A "completely restored and like new" frame, new paint! Sitting on saw horses and ready to go! ........Complete with soup can tin rivited over the rot holes, and the owner saying...HUH..I never noticed that...

Coat hanger carb linkage.

Plexiglass windshield bondo'd into place to cover the rotting frame.

Mud flap floors with strips of plywood to hold them from falling out.

Stop sign floors

no parking floors

private property floors

bridge out floors

cerial box gaskets.

Masking tape holding up the bondo on that "mint" body!

Insulation stuffed into a valve cover in an attempt to mask excessive rocker noise.

Angle iron shackle lifts.

Grade 5 threaded rod for spring U bolts.

We should have some kind of CJ motto, something like "Don't let yourself become the PO that didn't have a clue" or maybe " Build it so no one ever looks at your work and says"WTF was he thinking?":laugh:

There was another one of these on one of the other forums that I remember reading... it provides hours of smirks and laughs as everyone has a story. The best one I can remember was the 4 different rims with 4 different tires and all different combos of bots/nuts holding them on... just to get it onto standard bolts/nuts and 4 of the same tires/rims was much improved said that owner... I thoguht it was humerous.

As for my PO stuff, I have a ton, but basically it is not fixing it right, but trying to patch and ending up ruining what you were intending to do in the first place only to have someone like me come along and have to rip it all out and do it right!

cb

The $600 salvage CJ7 had some interesting floor combo like the red text. :D The next two really bother me. When you see all the 6 in. body lifts and whacky shackle combos, put it in reverse and run like heck!! The guy who did it was cheap and had no concern for safety whatsoever. He probably said "Oh this old stove bolt will work fine". That 6 in. body lift is ready to go for more than the obvious reasons. After seeing :dung: like that you might as well tear the Jeep down to the frame and start over.
Stop sign floors

no parking floors

private property floors

bridge out floors

Angle iron shackle lifts.

Grade 5 threaded rod for spring U bolts.

Last edited:
first thing I do when i get a CJ home is to find out everything the PO, or should we call them the POS did. On the 67 I have parking brake linkage that is made from tie wire.
wow that sucks, found that yesterday when locking doen my tranny mount.
So
yes a good thread like this will make us feel better

My number 1 beef, rewiring with w\twisted and electrical tape connections.

The $600 salvage CJ7 had some interesting floor combo like the red text. :D The next two really bother me. When you see all the 6 in. body lifts and whacky shackle combos, put it in reverse and run like heck!! The guy who did it was cheap and had no concern for safety whatsoever. He probably said "Oh this old stove bolt will work fine". That 6 in. body lift is ready to go for more than the obvious reasons. After seeing :dung: like that you might as well tear the Jeep down to the frame and start over.

:D They were all bought as "largely questionable" for just a few bucks. Most were torn up for the more desirable bits and pieces, others were stripped of the quality upgrades, and soundly beaten off the pavement. Poor old Jeeps...

do i really want to get in to this? i am looking for my first jeep :eek:
he@@ yes i love it looking at a rusty for 700 now lol:drool:

shag carpet was the grossest thing i have ever seen, it had no top on, one was sitting in his shed though. It had sat in a field for 2 years. The interior surround sound speakers were a nice touch though.

I mensioned them on another thread. What do you think of that tire? They're practically new, still see a few nubies.

I mensioned them on another thread. What do you think of that tire? They're practically new, still see a few nubies.

In my opinion, not a very good offroad tire. They are the black sheep of the Super Swamper tire line. I have seen a set of thornturds do really well, but they were hot knifed like crazy and the tire didn't even resemble its original self when done.

I just read your thread where you had mentioned them, the jeep looks nice, but I will agree on the colors, rattle can time.

And to keep the thread on topic.............

When I picked up my Jeep, there was some round stock welded in a cross of sorts from the bumper to the opposite shackle. I assumed it was a homebrew sway bar, but that was the first thing I cut off.

PO's Idea of proper body work. A few months after getting this CJ5 I decided to pull off the diamond plate, and install rock sliders. This is what I found!

I guess I'll follow that same method for now, until I can fix it, or swap body's.:bang:

diamondplate will fix anything. This is what I found, but I expected it.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 425
Old Dog, I figured I'd get a suprise, but all the bondo is what I hate dealing with.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks