PO did What?

mines got an 8ball on the tranny shifter also..lol i cant get the damn thing off though

My T-19 shifter came with coarse thread & all the shift balls I could find were fine thread. So I made one out of a 2&5/16" stainless steel trailer ball.
I can't blame mine on the PO, I made it myself.:laugh:

luckily i got the shifters off but now i need some new ones. and sorry guys i dont have any pics. some of the stuff has been corrected already. gettin her out of storage in march so i will take some pics then and let you all see for yourselves the mayhem. but looking foward to the rebuild should keep me busy for a while.

My T-19 shifter came with coarse thread & all the shift balls I could find were fine thread. So I made one out of a 2&5/16" stainless steel trailer ball.
I can't blame mine on the PO, I made it myself.:laugh:
Hmmmm, mass times velocity, he goes for 3rd and dents the dash?:eek:

my '80 had a motor swap by the po to a chevy 350. it was a fuel injected motor that he put a holley 660 double pumping carb on! that things for racing not crawling! on top of that instead of having a smaller psi electric fuel pump for the carb he had one of the FI high psi ones on it. when he ran the wiring for the chevy, he only used a few wires out of the stock harness. all the ones he had left over he left in the harness, not capped off, with power still running to them! half of them were just cut off. several just had the ends twisted together, all of them with power. i'm amazed it didn't catch fire on my way home.

as for the dryer hose gas inlet. i once owned a stang that was always kicking off if you tried to fill the tank at more than a trickle rate of speed. finally went to find out why. the joker before me was using a garden hose for the fill tube!

i've seen a soda straw used as a vacuum line.push not pull. bent finishing nails used as cotter keys as well as paperclips. plumbing pipe hose clamped into a rubber heater hose to patch a burst.

but the best one i think i've seen came on a mercury capri i had. evidently the blower motor went out. instead of getting new one they fabbed in an air hocky table fan in it's place. think giant computer fan. they even used drywall screws and silicone to hold it to the firewall where the blower moter should have been. man i've had a lot of cruddy cars.

I think this is pleasantly interesting. We love to rag on the PO for doing things on his own, but we are proud of the fact that we fabricate our own parts, IE the bumper sticker that says, "Made not Bought".

I tend to be in the "Made" group, but at the same time try not to butcher the basic Jeep. The next owner of my CJ can remove anything I've added to my jeep. Also I believe that most of the modern CJ owners are a little more sophisticated with their repairs than they were "Back in the Day." Partially due to the availability of decent tools, the small MIG Welder being one and partially because of internet sites like this one. Got a problem, likely many others have had the very same issue and can offer advice that will make the job much easier. Back in '83 when I did my first engine swap, most information was delivered in the mail box or was a by guess and by gosh situation, or making it up as I went along. While that CJ worked wonderfully, I occasionally wish I could have that jeep back so some of the work could be done right.

Found a "trail fix" 2 piece axle hub. PO had taken a grinder to cut a key slot. Also found on a friends jeep, He couldn't figure out why his lights stayed on when his switch was pulled to park and high beams would not work. Found that the dimmer switch was bad so the PO made a jumper from the park light wire at the firewall to the headlight wire. $15 dimmer would have solved him a lot of trouble.

Prior to owning my MB it lived in Az. The owner was the brother of a friend. While in Az he had a 2.5 lift installed by Kong 4x4 shop in Phoenix, Az.

When I got it up on my lift I noticed the mistake the shop made. Your looking at the driver side rear wheel. Can you see the mistake?

DSCN3625_zps182af1d0.png

shocks on the outside:D oops

1 internet beer for the correct answer.

When you see it you will lol.

Shim is in backwards
One internet beer for you!

beerboot.png

The installer somehow didn't notice the pinion pointing down. They must have not check their work when it went out the door as well.

Prior to owning my MB it lived in Az. The owner was the brother of a friend. While in Az he had a 2.5 lift installed by Kong 4x4 shop in Phoenix, Az.

When I got it up on my lift I noticed the mistake the shop made. Your looking at the driver side rear wheel. Can you see the mistake?

DSCN3625_zps182af1d0.png

The shim is installed backwards. :chug:

This is what I found after pulling a T5 from a 258
When someone figures this one out let me know....

DSCN2545.jpg

DSCN2546.jpg

DSCN2547.jpg

Well, it is supposed to be a bearing? :)

That it is, but why in the pilot bushing?

I'm amazed the input shaft for the T-5 wasn't damaged in some way.

Even the input shaft bearing and seal were fine.

This was found on a CJ5 I'm presently working on. It came with a set of 4.5 yj springs which required the box to be moved up an 1" or so. The work was done by a 4x4 shop called Dr. Wheels in yarmouth Ma.

Below you will notice the steering box bracket doesn’t sit level because they failed to install a shim

DSCN2697.jpg

Below you can see the shim I install to keep the bracket level.

DSCN2029.png

This CJ5 had a T5/300 with a 4.5 yj lift, they welded the perches and with this short wheel base Jeep the pinion pointed to the sky, needless to say the pinion bearing went dry and chewed up the gears.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks