pipe bender

pipe bender

RAWDOG

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Building a 1972 cj5,
built 350,sm420,f/r d60's ,regeared dana 20 twin stick. More to come
I am thinking of buying a pipe bender from harbor freight. Just wanted to know if anyone has used one of these and if they are worth it. Thanks

I have one similar to the HF one. It works OK for certain things, but it is NOT designed for things like roll cages. For that you need a different type of bender, one that does not kink the pipe (and you should use tube, not pipe for a roll cage anyways)
I've used mine to bend a pipe for a chain link fence, a few plumbing projects and a little bit of "art", but I have yet to make anything for my vehicles with it.

Those HF pipe benders really do kink the pipe when they bend it and it really doesn't hold up for things like roll cages. I've seen pipe break just smacking a tree pretty hard. It's really not for vehicle use.

If you're doing plumbing work, it's not bad. If you're thinking about a roll cage, do yourself a favor and use DOM tubing with a mandrel bender. It's more expensive but worth every cent. Leave the pipe for poop.

Pipe benders that are worth taking up shop space are pretty expensive. and of course you have a learning curve to go with them. If you just have one job in mind you may want to look for someone that can do the bending for you, it will be a lot more cost effective in the long run. I know of one of our little group that has the capability but I don't think it would be polite to volunteer him, we will have to wait for him to speak up for him self. for the time being this may help.
Trail Cage Tubes
they are really pretty reasonable when you do the math.:cool:
It's just a question of having them do just what you need.

I was told i can fill it with sand and it wont kink. I am going to use it for adding to my rollbar. Also some tube fenders. If this wont work what style do i need? A link to it would be great thanks

I just called h/f they said it says on the box it will bend up to 2" solid bar. This is the 12 ton one. He said guys use it for roll bars all the time. Said in tight bends you have to do it in a few bends. This thing is a hundred bucks. I will try it for that.

this will give you just about any info you need about just about any bender made.
OFN Forums - Powered by vBulletin

I was told i can fill it with sand and it wont kink. I am going to use it for adding to my rollbar. Also some tube fenders. If this wont work what style do i need? A link to it would be great thanks

typed in pipe bender in FAQ nothing came up.

try harbor freight or tube bender. there are a few articles in there about them, they seem to be ok for small project stuff, but not if you are going to be doing full on fab work.

Just using it on this jeep. Not making a career with it. I am just going to go buy it.

There's lots of articles about tube bending, here's what I came up with. Did the tube fenders (1-1/2") and seat mounts (1-1/4")

Not cheap, but does not weaken the tube by bending it improperly.

bender.jpg

That is a nice bender. did you build it or buy it??:cool:

There's lots of articles about tube bending, here's what I came up with. Did the tube fenders (1-1/2") and seat mounts (1-1/4")

Not cheap, but does not weaken the tube by bending it improperly.

bender.jpg

That is a nice bender. did you build it or buy it??:cool:

Thanks. Plans from Pro-Tools - free. Bought their dies. 9x20 lathe, $39 Harbor Freight drill press. Had to use my Buddies CNC mill for the roller block. $100 metal. $65 20T air jack. $265 for the dies. I put a 6" digital caliper on and it is very repeatable and accurate.

I really don't need 180 degree bends.

You can pack with sand, but this makes it fun.

I don't think those are nearly big enough to do what he has in mind...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom