Body Painting Doors Questions

Body Painting Doors Questions

aglinks

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘83 CJ7, 4.8L Vortec, TF999, D300, AMC20, D30
Hey all,

I want to paint my doors and attempt to match the body color. I am totally new to painting, so this may go terribly. But any information or resources that can be offered would be great! I think my Jeep factory color was called Olympic White. Is there a code for this that can be mixed up?

if there's a code for the most part it can be made. matching is a different thing all together. if you're paint is original then more than likely its enamel based and faded. the new paints are urethane based. now if it's been repainted or repaired over the all bets are off on trying to blend and match unless you can drop off a painted piece for matching purposes.

as far as technique when you spray once you achieve coverage on the doors just extend your next few coats out a little more with each time to blend the difference in color so its not noticeable. then just clear the whole panel. (on a jeep i use the seam between the side panel and top panel. and also the vertical seam at the rear).

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

All Jeeps have a color code if the paint is original. Mine is 4-K. When I got my doors painted they used that code. My original paint had faded.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 13
The good news is white will show less fading than others........ If you paint the doors only, you may see a very slight difference, but with white, may not even be noticeable. My doors are slightly lighter the the tub - I decided it easier to live with the slight difference than worry about blending into the tub. If it were a Ferrari I would have sweated it, but I got it really close and went with it.

I’m bettin if you use a light primer, and hit it with several coats of white, there won’t be enough difference to worry about. Being a non-metallic color, you can paint the door while they are lying horizontal - greatly reduces the chance of runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My paint is original. Would I be better off using the code or trying to have something mixed to match?

My paint is original. Would I be better off using the code or trying to have something mixed to match?
use the code

You might also try buffing the tub in the event the color shows any difference. Removing oxidized paint then wax well will bring the original color back to as close to new as you can get. The sides will fade some, but not as much as horizontal surfaces, so it won’t take much. Easy does it here......

Is there a brand y’all recommend? The only Olympic white I can find in Duplicolor says it’s a GM color, not AMC.

Is there a brand y’all recommend? The only Olympic white I can find in Duplicolor says it’s a GM color, not AMC.

You won’t find anyone currently offering AMC colors like that. Or at least highly doubtful. I’d say tour two choices are either have a paint shop mix it up for you on automotive paint, or try the various whites in rattle cans till you find one close enough

Well, there ya go...

go with PPG

automotivetouchup.com

10 ish years ago I did exactly what you're looking at doing. And I used rattle cans too. Prep work is the key, and remember to take your time. Getting a light color primer will help with the white not being too different from the tub.

Mine took me several days to do, and I wasn't rushing anything. Primer, color and clear, I think it I ordered 6 cans of each. That was for 2 doors. I found couple of websites about paint and just did a bunch of reading. The biggest 2 learning curves for me were learning the correct way to paint with a rattle can so that you didn't get runs and too much overspray, and learning how to sand, both the color and the clear.

All these years later, the doors are a slightly different color than the tub, but I think the tub is the original 40+ year old paint and the doors aren't, but it isn't enough that anyone has ever said "why are your doors a different color?".

This is definitely a project you can do yourself, do your homework, set up a ventilated workplace, get PPE! Even a cheap respirator is better than breathing in those fumes. And take your time. And take lot's of pics along the way! I have some great pics of my now 18 year old son in a respirator helping me paint :)

Eliminate as many distractions as possible. A quiet me only paint area works best when I paint. Your results may very. Good luck, it should be fun

Eliminate as many distractions as possible. A quiet me only paint area works best when I paint. Your results may very. Good luck, it should be fun
Yeahhhhh we have a newborn so distractions are everywhere. But I’m off work for 6 weeks for paternity leave so I have some time to do it slowly.

Ok I took my time and am really happy with the results. I got door decals from collinsbros too.88C218F7-14E2-4DE8-AD60-91FD3D3D89BB.jpeg The color match is surprisingly close! The Jeep is super dirty so once it is all washed and waxed I think it will be super nice! I just need to assemble the doors and get the pin striping done. I also painted my cowl block off plate and tailgate.

Attachments

• C601834D-C8F4-4220-91F3-FC2A3C6EB69B.jpeg
    C601834D-C8F4-4220-91F3-FC2A3C6EB69B.jpeg
    515.3 KB · Views: 10
  • FE5C3F64-AB43-4215-A52D-C39E1CA6377D.jpeg
    FE5C3F64-AB43-4215-A52D-C39E1CA6377D.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2DC49CF9-A131-44BF-BDA6-D5D759047000.jpeg
    2DC49CF9-A131-44BF-BDA6-D5D759047000.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 6361FF50-4D25-4B98-B647-358B9B7855EE.jpeg
    6361FF50-4D25-4B98-B647-358B9B7855EE.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 6B614777-C61D-4AF9-9C2E-DFA30B650E32.jpeg
    6B614777-C61D-4AF9-9C2E-DFA30B650E32.jpeg
    328.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 9A99A730-E931-4451-900C-225640D12706.jpeg
    9A99A730-E931-4451-900C-225640D12706.jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 11
Nice job !

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks