Misc. original CJ seat questions

Misc. original CJ seat questions

Rustkill

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7 258 engine.
Hello, Question, I have a 1985 CJ7 I want to put back as close to the original as I can.

are there seats for years after 1986 that the frame and foam would be a match for the original? 85 and 86 CJ7 that I could maybe find easier --then re cover to match OEM ?
like maybe a wrangle yj 87 to 90 seats? any thoughts?

or has anyone gotten new seats that are very close to OEM? where i could have an upholster re-shape the foam for the correct covering can but installed?

there is not a company that makes seats just like the Original ones is there?
or anyone thats make them for scratch ?

looking for both front seats I still have my back seat.

anything i am missing? pic of what i am trying to match.

need the frame and foam to at least have a starting point

thank you I am new here fixing my 85 up I have had it for many years I got in 1989 !
just starting to try and find things i will need

Attachments

• Resized_20231011_162116001.jpg
    Resized_20231011_162116001.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 7
YJ is the closest I've found but they have a reclining back. I still can't believe my dumb A** through out my original ones when I was younger. Mine even had CJ embossed on the head rest area

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

There are places that sell original CJ seats that you can then have recovered. Austin Jeeps (austinjeeps.com) is one example. Then there's Rudy's CJs (rudys-CJ2.com) with a large inventory as well. And Rudy's business is for sale if someone is interested! Here in Houston is Collins Brothers (collinsbrosjeep.com) and they also have a large inventory. Those would be the best options for original seats, at least to get the frames, cushions, etc.

If you can't find originals with the upholstery in good condition, then lots of places can reupholster. Automotive Interiors & Accessories (automotiveinteriors.com) has seat rebuild kits that have the foam pads, burlap, batting, straps, and hog rings. You cut and fit yourself (or have a shop do it). Bartact (bartact.com) makes some great stuff I've never used, but seen in person that matches stock roll bar covers perfectly.

There's a guy in Pittsburgh easy enough to find on marketplace that might have original seats needing reupholstered, I see a few come up for sale even the denim ones on marketplace.

thank you for the replies so far. did not run across some of these places so it's great to have those.
I know about Collins brothers I was thinking about sending My Jeep there but because i don't have an unlimited budget I thought I would try to do most things myself and shop out what i need to.

I Too was stupid and threw away a lot of things I should not have. (seats /console )
My Jeep was Olympic white with a Black interior and blue striping.

Going to repaint back to Olympic white ( about 6 years ago i had a really cheap 86 gray paint job done)

I have been looking at pictures of Olympic white Jeeps with nutmeg seats and carpet that look nice I think.
is it stupid to change from black to nutmeg? It would be the seats / carpet/ dash / door panels / visors maybe the console??

I think I will need to see the nutmeg in person 1st not sure

1st pic here to show what I was thinking about doing or something close

3rd pic is my Jeep really old picture right now is dark gray and has no stripes.

again thanks to everyone for the help,, at one point about 30 people had looked at the post but no comments, I was starting to think I had asked a stupid question.

Attachments

• Library-26-of-101-1-scaled.jpeg
    Library-26-of-101-1-scaled.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 1985_jeep_cj-7_renegade_.jpg
    1985_jeep_cj-7_renegade_.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 4
  • jeep.jpg
    jeep.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 4
Nutmeg does look nice. Black is easier to do. Mine is silver with black trim

There are no stupid questions

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks