Build Thread Operation Money Pit

Build Thread Operation Money Pit
Anyone enough talk about manly vs metro. Hahah! I am trouble. My throwout bearing is wrong that I have. The inner diameter of the bearing is too small. I had a part number for NAPA but that bearing was the wrong style but the inner diameter. The inner diameter I need is 1.437. I am stalled at this point.:(

I did make some progress. I had put the wrong clutch fork return spring. Fortunately, my friend, Adam, not a jeep guy noticed that it wouldn't work so we took off the bell housing (3rd time) and we got the correct spring in.:banana:

Rob at Willys Works has'em. A trip down to Tucson is always a treat. Well, that is compared to a trip to Phoenix. :madjeep: vs :yj:

Rob at Willys Works has'em. A trip down to Tucson is always a treat. Well, that is compared to a trip to Phoenix. :madjeep: vs :yj:
Hmmm

I am going to try AZ Brake and Clutch before driving to Tucson but it is an option.

:poke: Hey I had to go all the way back to page 7 for the most recent picture! :poke: Some of you guys really make it hard on a guy having to read so much! :wasted:

Nothing to show at this point. I get the right throw out bearing then I will get more pics up. Lol. Sorry.

If it's not coming off after you remove the 3 bolts (1stud) tap it lightly with a rubber mallet.
The bottom two holes on the bell to block is 7/16-14 2.75 the top bolts 3/8-16 2.187 top center 3/8 16 1.625
Give AA a call on the adapter bolt size
Transmission to bell I'll have to look at my setup when I get home.
Hope this helps.

That's cool

Nothing to show at this point. I get the right throw out bearing then I will get more pics up. Lol. Sorry.
In the interim, how about a couple of good looking ladies drinking coffee:

pauza-de-cafea_zps003e156f.jpg

Or a dog (everyone likes dogs):

Winchester_zpsc4ee0ede.jpg

Sorry.... I'll go back to my closet now....

That made me laugh. How about a pick of my son doing a Cub Scout Fundraiser. 60262249c1f899d12db8204e0a531ec0.jpg

I got. mine in 1984

Loved scouting back then. I still have all my old badges. Decided I should put them on display when the 100th Anniversary came along:

BoyScoutDisplay_zpsb8049f7f-1_zpsdec4465b.jpg

I added the commemorative rifles and knives too. On the far right is the patch from the 1964 National Jamboree that was held in Valley Forge, PA.

That's awesome. I have China cabinet that I display my stuff in. It's a work in progress.

So a day trip to Tucson and it was awesome. I got what I needed for my Heep and an Intermediate CJ'er, Hedgehog, and found a new resource for parts, Willy's Works, Inc.

Insert "met".

Worked on the transmission and clutch today. Spent a lot of time learning and figuring things out. Found out I put the clutch fork and the release bearing in in the wrong order. The bearing needs go on first and then the clutch fork clips on to the bearing then the inner bell housing return spring gets attached. Right now my spring is sprung and the pivot ball won't stay in place. Live and learn. It is a $4 mistake.

I had the chance to go to Willy's Works and pick up a few things on Saturday. One of those things is a pilot bearing and boy am I glad I dis. I used hydraulic pressure to get the pilot bearing out. What I did was rip up newspaper and soak it in water. Then I stuffed in the hole where the bearing is at. I pounded on the the newspaper with an input shaft from an old t-18. The water squeezed the bearing out. My neighbor gave the idea.

This is what it looks like in process.

20160118_132020_zpsfzvnv8fb.jpg

Here is the clutch out of the jeep.

20160118_132026_zpsxerervsb.jpg

This is what I found when I got the pilot bearing out.

20160118_181954_zps0vqjtze8.jpg

Hmmm...a split in the bearing. Good thing I got it out of there. Also, notice that it was not all the way seated. Kinda ticks me off. I am glad I had a new one to put in and my neighbor pushed me to check the shops work who supposedly knew what they were doing.

Here is another pic.

20160118_181941_zpsnzcipoy6.jpg

Some conversion pilot bushings hang out a little when they are completely seated. I'm not saying that this is one of those, but sometimes .......

How the heck did the bearing get split like that? I've tried the hydraulic removal method but used grease and made nothing but a mess. The bearing removal tool from Harbor Freight is cheap and really worked well .... that is after a bit of a modification using a grinding wheel. I've used it for several other bearing removals including the inner Torrington bearing inside the front hubs.

How did you do the fork/throw out bearing backwards? I load the bell housing with the fork, spring, pivot ball and bearing, then slide it on the PB shaft and bolt the transmission and bell housing together. No matter what I'm glad you are moving forward.

So, I have been thinking about your post Michael. The pilot bearing in this application is supposed to sit flush with the block. My best guess is they didn't let the pilot bearing sit in oil long enough to saturate the bearing. Then when installing it they use a socket (a good method for installation), however the trick is to place the socket on the pilot bearing to drive it so that you are hitting the open end of the socket. This is probably what helped to cause the split. Then didn't try so seat in all the way flush so when the tried to install the transmission they couldn't get it installed all the way. Remember, the bushing is sticking out. I figure the shoved on it like they didn't care and split the bearing.

I am just glad that my neighbor pushed me to check their work. As for the newspaper method I described. It was so easy. A little mess, pick out the newspaper when done and you are done. Very simple.

I did put the throw out bearing on correctly but what I did was attach the inner spring to the fork and then try to clip the fork to the pilot bearing. The spring got stretched out and then the clutch fork wouldn't travel correctly.

Long story short, I get to do it again. :chug:

Ahhh yes, some of the springs on a CJ don't go in the way you originally think they will. This is one of them. The clutch fork to clutch mechanism is another, then there is the big brute on the clutch pedal. The engineer that figured that one out was a genius. The spring doesn't pull the pedal up, but it does hold it up.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks