Body OMIX Body Mount Kit failure

Body OMIX Body Mount Kit failure

bcstringer

Jeeper
Thanks
South Clementine Street, Oceanside, CA 92054, USA
Vehicle(s)
'72 CJ5, 4.2L 258, T-18, D20, D44, D30
I bought the OMIX body mount kit from Summit Racing for my 1972 CJ5 and all the bushings separated and failed in less than 6 months!

I’ll get my my money back, but at this point I don’t want to risk installing another set of OMIX.

What are some other good brands and model numbers of body mount kits that everyone is installing out there that are holding up?

Attachments

• IMG_6589.jpeg
    IMG_6589.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6590.jpeg
    IMG_6590.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6591.jpeg
    IMG_6591.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6588.jpeg
    IMG_6588.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 11
Solution
Coming from a 72 owner also I would stay away from poly bushings. 72 frames are not boxed and flex more than 76 and up.
Standard rubber bushings are better as they allow the extra flex and are easier on the frame and body and last longer.
Unfortunately they can be difficult to find but I got mine from Willy's Overland.
I don't use anything omix ada it's all garbage. I found out the hard way with a new temp gauge. Smoked the second I turned the Jeep on.

As for mounts I use energy suspension polyurethane. Cost more but been 15 years and still in decent condition

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

I don't use anything omix ada it's all garbage. I found out the hard way with a new temp gauge. Smoked the second I turned the Jeep on.

As for mounts I use energy suspension polyurethane. Cost more but been 15 years and still in decent condition

Thanks Manic Mechanic!
I’m learning that the hard way as well I guess. I’ll look at your suggestion!

Looks like it's on sale if you want red

I also used the Energy Suspension polyurethane. Some prefer the feel of the original rubber, but to me a CJ suspension doesn't let me feel the difference, and the urethane stands up better.

Coming from a 72 owner also I would stay away from poly bushings. 72 frames are not boxed and flex more than 76 and up.
Standard rubber bushings are better as they allow the extra flex and are easier on the frame and body and last longer.
Unfortunately they can be difficult to find but I got mine from Willy's Overland.

Solution
I also used the Energy Suspension polyurethane. Some prefer the feel of the original rubber, but to me a CJ suspension doesn't let me feel the difference, and the urethane stands up better.
Thanks TSB8C!
My original rubber was square-stamped from old tires and some were missing completely so it’s not hard to beat that. Apparently, before 1972 they used old tires for body mounts. Even though mine is a ‘72 model, it was rolled off the line in Sept 1971 so that likely explains why. I’m definitely going to check out Energy Suspension Body Mount Bushings.

Thanks CJ!
Was it a Willys Overland brand or some other brand you bought at Willys Overland?

I think it was just a kit they offered when I bought my Repli Tub from them.
It's been a while and a few :beer: s ago... ;)
I see, thanks! I checked out their website and that is cool you can get a year-correct complete body or tub. Luckily, mine is in decent shape but definitely needs some tlc.

I see, thanks! I checked out their website and that is cool you can get a year-correct complete body or tub. Luckily, mine is in decent shape but definitely needs some tlc.
If you ever need replacement panels and want the best fit highest quality, Classic is the way to go. More expensive but well worth the price and made in the USA.

If you ever need replacement panels and want the best fit highest quality, Classic is the way to go. More expensive but well worth the price and made in the USA.
To bad they don't have fenders listed. Id love to get a nice set of American made original style fenders and hood

To bad they don't have fenders listed. Id love to get a nice set of American made original style fenders and hood

100 %. Almost 36 years ago I had to buy a fender ( chinee ) and fix my grill after someone, a turd tossed a chunk of metal down at me while driving under an overpass on a road. New hood ( chinee ) also.

May have to bite the bullet and buy one from Cali rust free and pay shipping

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks