Oil in air cleaner

Oil in air cleaner

jdboy

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85' CJ7, 258 I6, T176, Dana 300, AMC 20, Dana 30, 2.73 gear ratio, 31x10.5x15 tires, 15x8.5 (I want to buy another!)
I set out today to remove the pulse air system off my Jeep. I removed the air cleaner top to discover it full of oil. The oil was discolored and milky from what I'm hoping is condensation. I went ahead and capped off the pulse air system and let into cleaning up the oil in the air cleaner. I cleaned the PCV and flushed the little filter inside the air cleaner associated with the PCV. What could be causing the oil in the air cleaner?

Do you have the PCV and vacuum hooked up on the front end to draw air
out? If you don't it may be the carb sucking up more air than it should. Also, if you have the stock set up there should be a little filter on the inside.

Another potential here is that your rings are starting to wear and you are getting blow by; the pressure is pushing oil out the PVC and into the air horn. As you remove emission stuff be sure to leave the ERG as it actually helps to save the engine by lowering the temperature in the chamber during combustion and costs nothing to run.

Yup sounds like blow by from worn rings. Friend had 300 thousand miles on his Jeep truck. It was so bad he had streaks down the side of the body from driving on the highway everyday to work about 70 miles.

Do you have the PCV and vacuum hooked up on the front end to draw air
out? If you don't it may be the carb sucking up more air than it should. Also, if you have the stock set up there should be a little filter on the inside.

The setup is completely stock and hasn't been monkeyed with in the past so I'm lucky in that point. As to where the PCV is hooked up, the hose runs behind the carb.

Another potential here is that your rings are starting to wear and you are getting blow by; the pressure is pushing oil out the PVC and into the air horn. As you remove emission stuff be sure to leave the ERG as it actually helps to save the engine by lowering the temperature in the chamber during combustion and costs nothing to run.

I don't plan on removing the entire emissions system. The reason I was removing the Air pulse was the drivers side hard tube was rotted away and I was just bypassing it till I can get a new tube. I just used 3/4" heater hose plugs to cap off the air cleaner and then 1/8" covers for the vacuum lines.

As far as the blow by goes, I'm going to have to borrow a compression tester from a buddy to check that. I'd like to think that this isn't the case but I've seen stranger thinks happen. The Jeep is a unmolested 93,000 mile nearly all original 1985 model.

Last edited:
I’ve seen the rings in a Jeep I6 go bad with less mileage than you have on your engine due to a lack of proper maintenance. (read - oil changes) However if it is blow by the engine can run for some time before you have to rebuild; it just will be messy from the oil and your gas mileage will go down. So if it isn’t too bad just drive it until it is.

Blow by. Rings are going. Same thing happen to me

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks